Cracked Eggs! Okay to Eat????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pippsqueak, Aug 22, 2011.

1. pippsqueak

pippsqueak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    So my RIR dropped her third egg this morning and when I went to get it, it was cracked on one side but the thin membrane is still intact. Is it still okay to eat or might it have gotten contaminated?? I washed it really well just in case but I would hate to throw it out. Thanks!

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    As long as you cook it I do all the time

3. pippsqueak

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    Thanks. I definitely am not into the raw eggs. Lol

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I use the cracked ones also. If they're seriously cracked though(like egg seeping/coming out) I will feed them to the dog.

5. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:x2
    I use the cracker ones first, even over older ones, just incase.

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    You can feed oyster shell and the eggs will be too strong to crack. I'm still feeding starter for my girls and I give oyster shell on the side. My nest boxes are solid oak and the two pullets drop their eggs right on the wood. The push the pine aside. I have a hard time cracking our eggs due to the oyster shell.

7. pippsqueak

Jun 20, 2011
    Grants Pass
    Quote:The shells are thick but, I think she had her rear up high and it hit the wood hard. Its barely cracked but, like I said it didn't break the membrane so I'm going to eat it anyway. I might start to mix oyster shells in if it continues to happen but, they get a lot of calcium and grit so I think they will be okay. Thanks though!

8. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I mix them in with the dogs food. Supposed to be good for their coat according to Grandmom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by