cracked eggs while incubating?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jyphotog, Jun 23, 2011.

1. jyphotog

jyphotog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    I am curious if a egg cracks slightly, does that mean its done? Should I throw them out, or give them a chance?

2. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I've heard of people putting candle wax or tape over the cracks, but if the yolk sac is busted it won't hatch. As long as just the shell is damaged then it should work.

3. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    You can seal them up with clear nail polish or paraffin wax... sometimes they make it, sometimes they don't. Good luck!

4. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    I choose not to salvage them, BUT, most testimonials I've read on the subject either SuperGlue'd the egg.....or put clear nail polish on it (with good success). However, I'm confident this would only work if the shell is not shatterd over a very large area, and the membrane is not damaged.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  5. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    I like to candle the eggs before they go in the bator

I have found so many eggs with internal cracks.

at simple sight is hard to see them
    it also makes my hatches almost 100 %

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Well, I'm not going to say candling eggs before setting increases hatch rates, but it does decrease the amount of cracked non hatch-able eggs one sets! I guess it depends on how one looks at it. 1/2 empty or 1/2 full [​IMG]

Sorry...it's the bean counter in me.

7. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    I didn't get a chance to take care of it last night. Also, this was not something I did. It came upon itself as far as I know.

This morning the crack is larger. Could this be a quail hatching?

8. scatteredeggs

scatteredeggs Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    how far are you in the hatching process? how many days since setting?
    (i got one egg with a slight crack on the day i locked down)

9. jyphotog

Jun 5, 2011
    Only 5 days in. That is why I thought it was kind of weird, but I have no idea why the crack would be getting bigger?

Anyone shed some light?

10. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:It could be rotten and gas pressure inside is forcing it wider. Give it the "sniff test" and if it smells at all off, discard ASAP.

I have had eggs that were cracked MID WAY THROUGH OR LATE in the process hatch, as long as the inner membrane wasn't ruptured and the crack was relatively minor. I've tried repairing small cracks on eggs at or just after setting them, and it has never worked for me.

However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I look at it this way -- there might be a very small chance a repair will work -- maybe 5% or 3% or maybe only 1%. But, if you just discard it, there is a ZERO % chance it will hatch.

So, as a rule, I'd say to try the repair, and just watch closely for signs of rot so it doesn't explode on the other eggs.

In this particular case, though, since you said the crack is large, I kind of suspect that it may already be going bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by