Cracked Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RobinC, Apr 23, 2019.

1. RobinC

RobinC Chirping

Apr 26, 2013
    I purchased shipped eggs and upon candling before putting them in the incubator, found two with small cracks. Another teacher said I should not try to incubate them as they could contaminate the remaining 5 eggs. With them being shipped eggs with rolling air cells, the hatch rate will already be significantly lower so don’t want to risk the entire clutch but also don’t want to lower the hatch rate by tossing possibly viable eggs. Thoughts?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You could try sealing the cracks with melted wax. If you do so monitor those eggs closely by frequent candling and remove if anything seems 'off'.

3. julskinka

julskinka Songster

I've got two in the incubator right now I'm attempting this with . . . I'll try to remember to report back whether it worked.

4. julskinka

julskinka Songster

Sourland = the sourlands?

5. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    I agree

6. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I
    I used wax on a cracked shipped egg. I then incubated, and it made it to day 10 or so before quitting. Just keep an eye on it.

7. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    Watching the incubators
    You could also try, as @ChickenCanoe suggests in this thread, using liquid bandage. It has an antiseptic in it, and is very easy to apply.

Best wishes for your hatch!

8. RobinC

RobinC Chirping

Apr 26, 2013
    Thank you everyone. I put melted wax on the cracks and am hoping all goes well!

9. Stacyoung13

Stacyoung13 Crowing

Apr 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Good Luck :fl :hugs :fl

10. RobinC

RobinC Chirping

Apr 26, 2013
    Sad day here. All but one egg are still clear. The one that has an orange/red hue and what looked like a blood clot, but nothing has changed I need two days. Also, a third egg was cracked that I missed and it leaked in the incubator. So, I’m pretty sure this clutch is not to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: