1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cracked Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Randy17, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Randy17

Randy17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2007
    Oil City, Pa
    Hi All !! Its been awhile since I have been here and since the last time I have been here my 8 Red sex Links are laying around 6 or 7 eggs a day. My problem is that when a few of the hens lay their eggs the egg hits the bottom of the nest box so hard the egg gets a crack in it. I try to keep wood shaveings in the boxes but they scratching them out. What can I do to make a softer landing???

Randy

2. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    They're just cracking from hitting the bottom of the nest box??,sounds like you need to start giving them oyster shell to make thier shells harder.

I feed mine oyster shell,my hens like to layer their eggs in a big bowl of hay with the hard wood bottom of the box at the bottom of thier nest lol..mine dont crack anymore after adding OS,to thier diet.

Some of my customers tell me they have to break out the hammer to open my eggs... lol (exageration)

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I would put bigger board(assuming you have a board) on front so they can not scratch alll the shavings out.

4. Randy17

Randy17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2007
    Oil City, Pa
    I mix OS with Layer Feed for all my chickens. I also have a 1 X 1
    piece of wood in front of the opening of all of the nest boxes and they still scratch out almost all of the wood shaveings. I got 8 eggs today and none of them were cracked. Hope it stays that way!!!

Randy

5. Georgetown

Georgetown Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Georgetown
    Mine are getting cracked lately too...I know this is a very old post but has anyone put anything on the bottom of the besting boxes for extra cusion?

Thanks

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You could put a layer of artificial grass on the bottom. You could still put shavings, hay or straw over it. If it gets dirty, just hose it off.

Eggs also crack if they freeze during the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by