Cracked Eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sbrown1414, Aug 31, 2010.

1. sbrown1414

sbrown1414 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    My Black Australorps have just started to lay this week![​IMG] I've gotten six eggs so far! The first three were just fine, but the last three have been cracked all in the same place! Right on the small end. Is that normal? Do I need to change the way I feed them? I am a first time chicken owner, so any advise will be welcome!

2. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    What type nesting materials do you use? Is it possible they are getting cracked when layed or are the shells too thin? IMO a hen fed layer feed should be producing fairly strong egg shells. However, that's not always the case with new layers though. You could suppliment with a little oyster shell, but that might be premature.

3. hennyjenn

hennyjenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    IN
    My girls were a little clumsy when they first started laying. I think they layed eggs on eggs, or walked on them. I often got cracked ones, but no longer do.

4. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I got some old carpet and cut pieces to line the bottom of the nesting boxes. The girls inevitably scratch the hay around until there is nothing on the bottom so this keeps them from laying on bare wood. Works for me!

5. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    One of my pullets is giving me an egg a day that is cracked on one end too, I have no idea what is causing this, either she pecks at it or ummmm, I dunno... [​IMG]

6. sbrown1414

sbrown1414 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    I'm going to try the carpet thing. They do scratch the nesting material (straw) so much that they are laying on the bare floor. I have been putting it back every day, but every afternoon it is scratched to the bare floor again. Silly girls:cd You all are great! I don't have any chicken friends, so you are a wealth of information. Having chickens is one of the most awesome things I have ever done!

7. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I agree with hennyjenn... My new girls kind of fig-git, and if there is an egg already in the nest, some might get cracked.

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Mine scratch out the bedding down to the wooden bottom of the nesting box, and they get cracked. I'm going to try the carpet solution so they can't do that anymore. We have to put new bedding in every other day! New layers here as well.

9. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    When I opened the nest boxes on my coop, I put cardboard covered with shredded newspaper in them and added a pretend brown egg. Except for the occasional newbie softshell there haven't been any problems until just the other day. Several eggs, different nestboxes, thin cracks near the pointy end. Not sure who's responsible, but there aren't peck marks or other signs of deliberate destruction. All the cracked eggs were still nestled in the shredded paper, not shoved in the corners.
    I feed laying crumbles and have oyster shell available in piles, plus I crumble up dried used eggshells.

10. JulieAdams

JulieAdams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Oakland
    Amazing. This is just the info I needed. Same problem - scratching bedding out of the nest, laying on hardwood, cracked pointy ends. Only when an egg is laid outside, in the dirt, is it not cracked. Was thinking of putting dirt in the nest box. But maybe I'll try carpet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by