cracked eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vsmenagerie, Sep 13, 2011.

1. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    I have shavings in their nest boxes, but they are constantly moving them to bare wood. So far, Ive gotten two cracked eggs, and Im wondering if its them laying on the hard wood? Any suggestions? Ive tried adding more shavings but they moved them! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

could I put some straw down and then shavings maybe? to make a soft layer not as easily moved? Or something else? Im going to scramble these up for them today. Maybe that is their goal! [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You could try straw, or put something soft on the bottom of the box, like those foamy shelf liners.

3. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Staple some foam padding to the bottom of the nest boxes. I used some of that foam "egg crate" padding you buy to lay on top of matresses. Works great. Never had a broken egg, and mine hollow out a nest right down to it.

4. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Quote:Good Idea, I'll use that

5. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    I have a roll of that shelf liner! It works good glued in hair clips to keep them in! LOL I will add some of that today. Yea, they hollow out a spot no matter what! silly chickens. thank you!

6. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Those eggs look like they were pecked. Do you try to remove them soon after they are laid? (I know: most people have work and school. They can't sit home and wait for their chickens to lay an egg.[​IMG]) but they do look like the damage was inflicted by a chicken beak.

7. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I have been having the same problem and found some foam like place mats to put in there. I agree with another post, those look like they've pecked a bit- mine don't have the deep imprints like that, just hairline cracks.

8. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:Pretty soon after they were laid. I was down there at 8 am and let them out, and then stopped by when I picked my son up at 12 and found the one that has the hole. The darker one, when I found it, that spot was on the bottom. I was thinking the one with the hole definitely looked pecked. Ive dropped eggs on the counter and have had them make that indent before. They were cold and no hens were anywhere around.

9. ntjpm

ntjpm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Can I ask if your egg cracking has stopped? I have EXACTLY the same thing gong on with an egg from one hen everyday now for 3 days, I am just curious if padding the nest stopped it or not??
    Mind dig all the way down to the bare wood too and this is really frustrating me.

Thanks, Tracy in WA
    [​IMG]

10. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:it has for now. I added a lot more shavings and so far, it seems to be working. My husband is on his way home and we are going to do some revamping on the coop this next week, so Im going to add some shelf liner then. but they are still digging down to the wood...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by