cracked eggs

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by yayasisterhood, Sep 18, 2011.

1. yayasisterhood

yayasisterhood New Egg

Sep 18, 2011
    One of my girls keeps laying an egg from the roost instead of going to the nesting boxes, how can I teach her to do like the other girls? These girls just started laying (only about 5 months old) and are my first hens.

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Naturally they are just going to have to learn with time....but I put used golf balls in the nesting box to give them the idea of where to drop the egg.....lol
    usually 2 per box (depending on the size of box) will do the trick.....then the rest is up to them [​IMG]

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Yeah, i want to know too. My hooligans ALL lay on the droppings board and scratch out all the hay I put in the nesting box, then they poop in it! [​IMG]

4. yayasisterhood

yayasisterhood New Egg

Sep 18, 2011
    I tried putting golf balls in the nesting box but one hen just didnt get it. Maybe the other hens were crouding her out??? I dont know. I tried the new temporary nest in the floor, didnt work either. When I would catch her on the roost after getting down in the morning I would take her down and place her in the nesting box and hold her there for a couple of minutes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by