Cracked Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedDrgn, Dec 28, 2011.

1. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    So we got our third egg yesterday, and the pointed end was cracked. Not badly, and it didn't breach the inner membrane at all. Overall, the egg was very clean, so is it alright to eat or should that be a cooked-and-fed-to-the-chickens egg? Any general rule on the condition of eggs for consumption (not that we'd ever give any damaged eggs to anyone, but we'll use them ourselves if we can)?

2. braindead101

braindead101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Midwest.
    I'm old school, waste not, want not. I would not eat it raw; but that egg is fit for consumption. The heat of frying, boiling or baking would kill anything on it. Gently wipe it before you crack it. You would do more damage if you try to wash it. The only eggs we threw to the slop bucket were cracked to the point of oozing.

3. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    I agree with braindead. Unless the cracked end is covered with poo, I'd say it's edible with proper cooking. (No eggs over easy on that one...)

4. RedDrgn

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Good deal - I'd rather not waste anything, either. Food's food and food prices are too darn expensive.

5. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    Someone once told me never to eat the thin, porous-shelled eggs - - maybe because of bacteria? Maybe because it's a sign of an unwell chicken? Not sure, now that I think about it.

6. RedDrgn

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    All shells are porous, but this was not a thin shell problem. All three eggs have had very nice, normal shells. This one apparently got punted against the wall of the nest box (it was found in the corner). Not terribly surprising since we've been occasionally finding the wooden eggs we have in some of the nest boxes flung across the coop (and once outside in the run). I think they think they are soccer players sometimes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by