1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cracked Fertile Egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bantamluv, Aug 25, 2016.

1. bantamluv

bantamluv Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2016
    Hi, my hen is incubating 3 fertile eggs. When I went out there to check her today, I noticed that one of the eggs had a small crack in it. The eggs are a little over 2 weeks old now, and when I candle them I can see a chick inside so I don't think it was hatching. It would be too young (I think!). I was wondering if there was any way that I could seal up the crack and the chick would still hatch. I think that it's only had the crack in it for a few hours, but if there is any way someone could help me with this, please do.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  2. bantamluv

Jul 25, 2016
    I just put a small piece of clear packing tape over the crack. I can see something moving inside so I know the chick is still alive but just wondering if it is developing ok. If anybody has an answer or any other suggestion please reply!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. cupofJoelene

cupofJoelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2015
    My mom accidentally dropped a fertile egg on day 10 and the fall gave it a real nasty looking smash, but since the membrane hadn't been hurt she slipped it back in the incubator and on day 21, voila! Perfectly healthy little chick hatched. If be afraid anything like tape would hurt during the hatching process.

4. bantamluv

Jul 25, 2016
    Ok thank you so much! I will take the tape off so the chick won't have trouble hatching! I'm pretty sure that the membrane wasn't damaged.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  5. bantamluv

Jul 25, 2016
    Sadly, the chick didn't make it. But I have 2 other healthy chcks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by