Cracked hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickgal101, Sep 24, 2016.

1. chickgal101

chickgal101 New Egg

Sep 24, 2016
    Hello, so 2 days ago I recieved 12 hatching eggs in the mail. 11 of them are fine but one has a shell that kind of peeled off. The membrane is still intact but I'm not sure if I should try and make it a fake shell or to just leave it. I know it's probably not going to make it but I thought I'd give it the best possible chance at hatching. Here's the egg: [VIDEO][​IMG]
    [/VIDEO]

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    You could try, (clear packing tape, wax, nail polish) but most likely it will get bacteria inside and if it develops it will quit. I've had them successfully hatch with large cracks but only when the cracks happened later in incubation. If you try make sure to smell the egg everyday and at the first hint of a bad odor remove it.

3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Ouch - that egg looks like it really got tumbled around in shipping or something. I'd try patching it, too, but like @RubyNala97 said, be prepared in case it's non-viable. It would be an amazing story, though, if it made it to hatch - best of luck to you!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by