Cracked Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wolf-Kim, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I know this may seem silly, but it was something I was wondering about. I haven't tried it yet, but still wonder the actual answer. [​IMG]

If you collecting hatching eggs and there is a cracked one, is there any chance at all to hatch it? I'm talking about those hairline cracks, where the shell isn't missing or really indented, but cracked none the less. I've always thrown the cracked eggs out, but I recently looked at articles on how they dye the Easter chicks and they have to puncture the shell.

Anyone? I know it is a silly question and I know that the risks of hatching an egg that is cracked would be severely disadvantaged, but is it possible? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Kim

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I know there are people who have sealed the crack with melted wax or crayons, but I've never tried it.

3. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Nail polish works too.

It's a technique usually only used on rare or valuable eggs, as the chance of bacterial infection is high.

4. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I'll let you know in a week. I have 4 in my bator right now sealed with crayon.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I thought there would be a chance, after all, they "reseal" the Easter chick eggs with parafin wax. I will have to give it a try, I just wondered if anyone has tried it yet and what their success rate was.

I will have to try it with crayon wax. Does it matter whether the crayon(or nail polish) is colored or not?

Hey, AussieSharon, I appreciate you keepin me posted.

Thanks y'all,
    -Kim

6. urbanagrarian

urbanagrarian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I set one that was cracked once and it hatched. I didn't do anything to it. It seems worth a try it it isn't leaking.

7. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    If it is a very important egg it could be worth a try. I have sealed a minor crack using clear fingernail polish as well. It is actually pretty risky though. Any crack can allow bacteria into the egg which can cause it to explode ruining an entire hatch.

Richard

8. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I had one get cracked on week two when another hen got in the broodies nest. I sealed it with a melted crayon and a week later it hatched. It's worth a try you just have to watch it to see how it's developing.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by