cracked open waxy egg/killed embryo

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monster1, Nov 3, 2008.

1. monster1

monster1 Chillin' With My Peeps

thought that the waxy egg was rotten and seeping through the pores in the egg. cracked open the egg and saw an embryo forming wonderfully. it obviously died and now i feel like a murderer. i know it happens to everyone and that this is the only way to learn from mistakes and gain knowledge for next time. should the clear eggs get taken out of the incubator now? now i only have nine possible eggs to hatch out of the dozen i bought. i'll be happy with six keats, if i can get that many. i need some support. this egg hatching thing is turning me into a co-dependent. lol. btw, the egg that i cracked candled exactly like the rest(exept for the clears). the rest should be developing the same.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I'm sorry for your lose. Yes it does happen to many of us [​IMG] Sometimes the looks of the candled eggs don't show much at all and than we think they are done. Sometimes I think it's easier to not even open them at all and just toss them! That way you never know. Good luck with the remaining eggs. I have nine left too out of 12 due to hatch on the 7th.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    awww, so sorry !!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Yes it does happen !! People make mistakes, dont be to hard on yourself !! What day are the eggs on ??

4. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I have done the same thing before. Just learn not to candle/throw out the eggs so soon. Its okay we all make mistakes.

5. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    It happens. I don't consider myself reliable as far as candling, and have decided that any eggs I incubate will go "full term" unless they are clear after 2 weeks. Any that don't hatch get thrown out- I never open them. I can't bear the "what ifs" and wondering too much what I could have done differently-but that's me.
    Don't be too hard on yourself, just move on. How far are you into incubation? You might consider just letting the remaining eggs stay put until the end, just in case.

6. monster1

monster1 Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks guys. at least now i know that all the rest of the eggs are forming properly. actually am sort of relieved. i still have nine eggs left that are still growing(12 - 1 murdered - two clears = nine). keep those fingers crossed. if i get six hatched and healthy, i'll be happy.

7. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

You never know, that one might not have lived anyway. Try to forgive yourself and forget.

I am curiousabout the waxy coating you mention, I have not felt that. Can you describe it more? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by