Cracked quail egg day 13

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sleepydream21, Oct 29, 2009.

1. sleepydream21

sleepydream21 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2009
    central MO
    Ok,

So my turner is set up for chickens, not quail. I started with 36 chicken eggs, 30 quail eggs and 2 duck eggs (I think, 1 could be a chicken). So far 6 quail have fallen out of the turner and been cracked earlier on, I threw them out.

Saturday is the day I was planning on taking them out (I set them Friday evening Oct. 16).

Well today I look in and see 3 more that have fallen out of the turner. 1 is cracked to the point some shell is missing, but membrane appears intact. 1 cracked pretty bad and 1 cracked just a bit near the top of the large end of the egg. I put them where they wouldn't be more smashed, but is there any hope for them? Are they already dead? If there is any chance they are still alive I don't want to handle them anymore than I already have to candle...plus I can't see through those shells anyway. Should I get them out of the incubator? Should I leave them and see what happens? Ugh! This is the 3rd time I have tried to hatch and I have yet to pull a chick out of my bator. But things are/were going really well this time around...every egg that previously cracked contained a chick....the chicken eggs 24 of 36 have definite chicks inside and 8 more probably 4 are iffy. Temp and humidity holding steady....I am really hoping the third time's a charm you know?

I noticed some of the other eggs are moving, should I go ahead and take them all out of the turner? I have chickens in there too that were set at the same time, so was planning on hand turning them for a few days since the quail had to come out sooner. Hatch day on the quail would be lockdown day for the chickens.

HELP!

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    It's really hard to do mixed hatch dates. You risk loosing the chickens at this point, due to humidity dropping while taking out all of the quail babies.

You may want to get a fine mister, so that you can mist the eggs a little and that may help them to keep the moisture while your taking out the quail.

You can put some wax on the cracked eggs.

3. sleepydream21

sleepydream21 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2009
    central MO
    Wax like candle wax? Drip it on?

The bator is in a tiny bathroom, what I am doing is running a humidifier in the bathroom so the whole room is humid....I thought that way when I open to take the quail out it shouldn't drop drastically at least. Also, there is a vent in there....such a tiny room it stays about 85 in there so the eggs shouldn't cool super quickly either. 85 is too cool obviously, but I thought if I could get them all out in 15 min or so the chickens would be all right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by