1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cracked shell in incubating egg - over air sac, inner membrane ok

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spookyevilone, Dec 11, 2008.

1. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    While removing a very obviously dead egg from the hatcher, the cat knocked down the piece of wire I was using as a top prop and it fell on my remaining egg, knocking a hole in the large end. The first membrane is ruptured - there's a hole the size of the wire - and to my surprise, there's obvious movement inside. The inner membrane is intact - no blood, no rips or tears or moisture that I can see.

I wrapped the egg in a warm, wet paper towel and put a fold of it over the opening. I have no idea how far along this egg actually is and didn't want to spend too much time staring into the hole in case it chilled my little loner.

Is there anything else I should/can do? Should the wet paper be over that opening or should I clear it and just leave the wet paper wrapped around the rest of the egg?

I swear, I am having no luck with those first eggs! [​IMG] One chick hatched way early and died, the obviously dead egg turned out to be cooked inside, and now my loner, who I'd also given up hope on, has a hole in it.

Argh! I'm consoled by the other 38 eggs in the 'bator, but if there's anything I can do for the loner, I'd like to try.
    -Spooky

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You probably should cover the hole completely. I had one that I pipped, thinking it was dead. It was really late, at least 3-4 days, but still alive. I don't know if it was because of me or what, but it didn't make it, it died shortly after. Good luck [​IMG]

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

How far along are you in the incubation time? You can take a piece of tape just barely bigger than the hole and cover it. That will help hold in the needed moisture. With that, you should not need to place a wet towel around it. Too much moisture and your little one could possibly drown. Hope the little one does OK. Don't give up hope or trying. Sometimes it can be very frustrating and other times very rewarding. Keep us posted...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by