Cracked????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1Calypso2, Aug 22, 2013.

1. 1Calypso2

1Calypso2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Today I wonks up and went outside to check only chicken water and food. While I was out there I noticed that one of my Plymouth rocks has a beak injury. So I brought her inside and gave her a little bit of cheese to see if she would eat and she ate fine. But then her beak started bleeding just one drip but it still worries me. I think the top layer of her beak is peeling off. I read that super glue would help but I'm not sure if its her whole beak braking or just the layer like I thought. I'm not sure how to insert a picture but if I figure it out I will. I'm not sure what to do. If I should let it go or try and fix it. I'm not even sure if I should put her back out with the flock! I noticed that the crack is only on one side of her beak not on the other if that makes any sense.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Keep her inside for a day,make sure she can eat/drink properly. If beak starts to bleed,other hens will peck at her. Yes,super glue can be used to mend a crack/break, How close to the tip of her beak is the crack?

3. 1Calypso2

1Calypso2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Sadly, the crack is pretty far in. It's About 3/4 of a centimeter away from where her comb meets her beak. that's why I was worried. The strange thing is that the crack is only on the right side of her beak not on the left, so I'm starting to think that is just peel. Like a little chip almost. If it does come fully off would I be able to glue it back on or should I just put a layer of glue over it to act as the piece that would fall off. I may even just put glue over the crack now. Would that be even better? I'm debating whether I should wait or do it now.?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by