Crackling breathing

christallynn

Chirping
Jul 30, 2016
I think my hen/roo(not sure) has a respiratory issue. I can hear crackling/ rattling when breathing. I can't get any medicine until tomorrow, what can I do now? Also dried mucus on beak. I have seperated from flock and need to know what to use to treat everyone just in case. Not even sure what I'm treating? I've had two hens and a roo die in the last two months.

Attachments

azygous

Crossing the Road
10 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
Just as a human having trouble breathing can suggest anything from a common cold to asthma to Covid, a chicken with breath rattles can signify a respiratory illness (CRD) or something more serious such as an avian virus causing tumors on organs. We can't know which unless tests are run.

Often, a chicken respiratory disease will have symptoms that include facial swelling and discharge from the nares in addition to trouble breathing. A comb and wattles that are pale pink as opposed to deep red signify a more serious virus. I had an eleven-month old cockerel with breath rattles that was later sent for necropsy and his liver was two pounds. He had an avian virus that caused tumors on his organs.

A respiratory illness can often be treated with an antibiotic such as Tylosin, while an avian virus has no treatment. Your options are to go ahead and treat with Tylosin assuming this is a CRD or wait until the chicken dies and send it for a necropsy to identify cause of death.

christallynn

Chirping
Jul 30, 2016
Just as a human having trouble breathing can suggest anything from a common cold to asthma to Covid, a chicken with breath rattles can signify a respiratory illness (CRD) or something more serious such as an avian virus causing tumors on organs. We can't know which unless tests are run.

Often, a chicken respiratory disease will have symptoms that include facial swelling and discharge from the nares in addition to trouble breathing. A comb and wattles that are pale pink as opposed to deep red signify a more serious virus. I had an eleven-month old cockerel with breath rattles that was later sent for necropsy and his liver was two pounds. He had an avian virus that caused tumors on his organs.

A respiratory illness can often be treated with an antibiotic such as Tylosin, while an avian virus has no treatment. Your options are to go ahead and treat with Tylosin assuming this is a CRD or wait until the chicken dies and send it for a necropsy to identify cause of death.
Where would I get Tylosin? I really can't afford a vet trip due to loss of income from Covid

Top Bottom