Crackling sound in hen's stomach

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peepchirpquack, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Peepchirpquack

Peepchirpquack Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Earth
    My 1 year old white leghorn hen has a strange crackling sound in her stomach. It sort of sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies. What could this be?

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Do you notice it happens when she inhales and exhales? Are there any other sounds or actions associated with it? Does it happen when she moves or at rest? Are you holding her up to your ear, or can you hear this from the other side of the room?

Have you noticed any color changes in her comb (turning blue or purple)? Not eating or drinking? When was the last time you wormed your flock?

What kind of food is she eating?

And when you say "stomach," do you mean the crop, gizzard, or inside her abdomen?

Has she laid an egg lately?

Any more info will help us help you!

MrsB

3. Peepchirpquack

Peepchirpquack Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Earth
    The sound doesn't seem to be associated with any actions. I can only hear it when my ear is near her stomach. I am not sure if it happens when she moves or rests, but I think it happens when she rests. I have not seen any color changes in her comb. She has been eating and drinking normally and her crop is fairly full. I have never wormed the flock before. I think the sound was coming from her gizzard or abdomen. She layed a nice egg today. We feed our chickens Blue seal brand extra egg crumbles. Her stomach seems to have quieted down now. Should I still be worried?

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Is it possible you are hearing her gizzard grinding her food?

I've never heard of anything like this. :/ Sorry I can't be of more help.

PS - It's also worth mentioning that worming your flock once or twice a year (especially before molt) can greatly reduce the stress on the birds. It's easy to do, takes two seconds, and will keep your girls happy and healthy. :) When it comes to worms, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! They are much easier to prevent than treat.

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by