cracks appearing with live chick inside

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rosa1347, Jun 29, 2016.

1. rosa1347

rosa1347 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Hey all i just wanna make sure i did the right thing here.

I had a bakers 2 dozen of coturnix quail eggs that i started incubating the 18th late in the afternoon.

I canlded the eggs this past sunda and found only ten had babies in them so i waited till today to toss the others, i figure by now the most they would do is explode.

upon candling my live eggs, i found one of them to be cracked right at the air bubble, now this is only day 10, so i've kept the humidity at 25*32%, its a still air and i've kept the temp at 99 as much as possible, and i've been adicted to watching the wiggly little chicks inside every turn to make sure they are ok but not one time did i drop them or apply any pressure to them to cause them to crack so i think they were small cracks before.

I put clear nail polish on it. I just got done turning and candling all ten again, the babies are all alive and moving, so i was curious if i should increase the humidity to be safe?

2. yallapilko

yallapilko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    From what I understand you are handling your eggs daily and candling them. If so, please stop!
    Candle just once, and get the temperature and humidity correct. Then leave them alone. You will only damage them by handling continually, if this is what you are doing.
    Good luck with your chicks.

3. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    Agree with yallapiko. I only candle on day 14 when I move mine from incubator to hatcher. Humidity should be 45%-55% first 14 days then 65% -70% during lockdown. also could you tell me what kind of light you use to candle that you can see the chicks moving?

4. rosa1347

Mar 30, 2015
    I just got internet back today i'm sorry for the late response, yes i've candled them the last turn of every day sense this post. i'm new to this and my last batch didn't make it due to a mistake made on my part by putting them in the laundry room so to see movement in the eggs, most assurably got me addicted. tomarrow is the beginning of lockdown, so i won't be messing with them again. but i am proud to say i have 9 out of the 10 i posted about. apperently the crack penitrated the bubble on the one egg and killed the chick. it died at day 11 sadly

5. rosa1347

Mar 30, 2015
    i was keeping my humidity at 25-35% as i was advized to do for still air, and then i just got the humidity up to 55-65% today to get it bult up. the base temp is 99-100 degrees, and i'm hoping to keep the humidity regulated enough over the next few days they won't have any problems. and as for what light i was using, it was the flashlight on my phone, you could see the chicks moving inside easily with it :) not in full detail of course but i could see large kicks and little beaks! though as i said to yallapiko i didn't get my net back till today so i've candled them all once a day sense this post. they are ok tho, still moving fine :)

6. pkhunter

pkhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    If you started on the 18th then this afternoon sunday the 3rd is day 15 so you should have them in lock down. 55%-65% is ok I like mine a little higher but I think your ok just leave the lid closed unless you need to add water and you should have some chicks in a couple days. Sounds like most of your eggs are not fertile could be the time of year I know right now I'm only getting about 70% fertile but I think it's the heat here in texas . Don't give up. Also what kind of incubator do you have?

7. rosa1347

Mar 30, 2015
    Ya, a good sum of the eggs were infertile, they were clear all the way through i think i had about 7 of them like that and the rest either had cracks i sealed that reopened or... the grey sludge came out of them after a bit.

I'm excited to meet them for sure, i have 11 live a&m chicks right now that i cuddle like crazy but as much as i play and love on them they are still pretty skiddish still, i'm eager to have hatchlings that know me from he start you know?

the incubator I'm using is a still air little giant 9300 model without the egg turner. its a Styrofoam incubator, dose a fairly good job, my mother in law hatched in it before me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by