Crafters/creative people! Share fun children's birthday party ideas!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by okiemommy, Jul 9, 2008.

1. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    There is an abundance of creativity on BYC, so I thought I would start a thread for everyone to share their creative children's birthday party ideas!

Share whatever neat ideas you have to make children's birthday parties special!

Examples include:

Things you make for the birthday parties
    gift ideas
    favor ideas
    food ideas/recipes
    Fun games/activities
    Theme ideas especially for those harder to theme years, and years when you have run out of themes b/c you have tried them all
    Fun birthdays for teens and pre-teens that they will like!

And any other fun ideas that you can think of!

Please no negativity on this thread. This is a thread for ideas and positive conversation on ideas only, and not a platform to debate anything. Period.

2. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    We moved right before my daughter's 7th birthday. For her birthday party, I planned a "painting party". This was the simple way of saying "paint something pretty on my daughter's wall". All her friends that we invited got to contribute to the mural that now surrounds her bedroom. We had the kids do hand prints and I made them into a vine. It's now a beautiful kid's garden.
    The kids had a lot of fun and it was a good way to split the day up with outdoor and indoor activities.

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Its been awhile since I had to worry about birthday parties but what we used to do for my youngest now 22 was have him pick the theme. Then months before his birthday we would start making things for the party. We would make all the games,pinata's favors etc. His favorite at the time was the Rescuers down under. We made a giant white eagle pinata, snake ring toss. we even had a treasure hunt for the golden feather. Since he was the youngest his older siblings helped with the party favors and helped with the party itself . It was a great time and its something he remembers to this day.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    treasure hunts always remained a favorite (son).... as part of the fun I put the clues in:
    > a rolled up piece of paper in a balloon hung from tree (they had to make a blow dart (paper darts) for this one
    > same but the balloons were weighted down (with fun plastic figure toys the kids could keep after) and placed in a creek/pond (or waterfountain basin) and had to be fished out.

...when older (last year at grade school) the whole class got invited over for a "disco" ... one of the "activities" was having all the boys names in a bucket and the girl would do their hair (gel and such)... nice ice breaker that one.

one of my daughters favorite parties was when we had a princess play-back party... I had this really sturdy salon table (porcelain tiles)above the salon table I had a disco ball and stars and such all hung from ceiling (cardbaord wrapped in foil >me and dd had fun making and hanging those) and a big ole box of dress-up outfits shoes and jewelry (the gaudier the better)... then when they were all dolled up ( gobs of make-up and nail polish and such ) we used table as a "stage"then and each did a a little performance (kareoke set up ) . Each girl later got a photo of their "performance".

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  5. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Let them make their own crafts like jelly bean bracelets.

6. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    These are great ideas!!! Keep them coming!!

7. okiemommy

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    I was going to wait until I found my recipe for punch but I can't find it so I will go ahead and post some of my other ideas

For my children that like to create things, I let them play a big part in making decorations, food for their own birthdays, and each others birthdays if they like. Some of the time they want to, others they don't feel like it, but I don't make them. I just allow them to be apart of it if they would like. We make paper chains for decorations, and I let them help hang crepe paper(the older ones)

They also get to help pick out gifts for their siblings that way they are more involved in the celebration of their siblings life.

Another Idea is to get white paper place mats (the doily looking ones at the craft store) and paint them a pretty color beforehand, using matte spray paint, then let the kids decorate them and take them home to keep. If there are boys at the party, cut the scallops off of the edges, or try to find the ones that aren't lacey looking.

For gift wrapping, I get the solid colored wrapping paper that corresponds to the theme that they picked out for their birthday, and then collect fun stickers and ribbon that I find on sale throughout the year and decorate the solid colored paper with that. You can also use the inexpensive pre-cut die cuts at wal-mart for this purpose. It can be time consuming depending on how detailed you get, but it really makes them feel special (the ones that are old enough to know it) that I "hand made" their gift wrap. If you find the right sales of ribbon and stickers sometimes it's cheaper to do it this way than to buy the $4 a roll 20 sq ft wrapping paper.

they usually take the stickers off that will come off and keep them for a while. When my kids b-days come up this year I will post some example pics [​IMG]

8. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    my dd is a summer baby. she'll be 5 in a few weeks. I just add water right now.

Water balloon toss
    slip n slide
    sprinklers
    hang a giant sheet of paper for them to add to a bday mural
    mac n cheese
    hot dogs
    cupcakes
    pinata

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
  10. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    The Party my kids, friends and family all still talk about was the Cowboy party we had for my youngest sons 5th Birthday (he is now 11) We made hot dogs & hamburgers on the grill, beans, chips, corn on the cob and cake. The fun part was the decorations. I told everyone to dress western & then I bought cheap straw hats and bandanas for those who didn't have anything. We got our horses all saddled up and went on a treasure hunt that we spent a week planning and setting up. We made treasure maps ( like the one on City Slickers) on paper grocery sacks then burnt the edges. Used an old storage trunk to hide treasure and burried it in the sand in the wash behind our house. The hunt went over a mile long, through the desert, the springs over mountains...Even the adults had a blast! I don't even remember what the "treasure" was & neither does anyone else but we all remember the ride!

We ended up at the house with a real shoot out! Well... almost, We set up a squirt gun match for the kids and baloons and blanks (from our mounted shooting stuff) for the older folks. And no party of mine is ever complete without an egg toss. Yep, raw eggs - turns into dodge the egg by the end of the day. As usual the adults are worse than the kids!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by