Crafty People- I need help with making a doggie sweater

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by MonkeyZero, Oct 18, 2009.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hey there

1st- I can not sew very well. Neither can my mom sew well(she can hem stuff and simple stuff)
    2nd- I want to use old clothes that are like new to make the sweaters

Ok well- We have a BIG box full of old clothes that dont fit anymore( ie wool sweaters, jackets etc). I want to old use the old clothes to make them
    Its getting cool here and I want to make a SUPER SUPER SUPER simple sweater for my little long hair chihuahuas
    SO for all you crafty, DIY BYC'ers, can you give me really simple instuctions to make a simple sweater for my dogs, that will help keep them warm?
    My dogs and I would REALLY appreiciate it if you can help me make a sweater

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Help?
    [​IMG]

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Its almost impossible to just type out some instructions and have a person who's not used to sewing make something from them.

Your best bet is to get a pattern to start off with. You can probably find on on the internet somewhere. (I've winged it and made a fleece "jacket" for my dog, but its next to impossible to try explain it - I didn't take pictures)

Good Luck

4. GrayDragon

GrayDragon Chillaxin

Sep 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Simplicity patterns 3664, 9520, & 4793 worked out great for my dogs. JoAnns usually has them on sale for about 3-4 dollars a pop.

5. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    Quote:u can also get them on ebay and at walmart. [​IMG]

6. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

You said you have bags of old clothes....some of my chihuahua's favorite shirts are the sleeves cut off of the long sleeve shirts. You use the wrist part as the neck band, size your own dog for where to cut the "arm" or leg holes, and cut it as long as you need it for your dog, there you go! You only have to hem up the edges of the "arms" and the cut end of the shirt.

Used Thermal shirts and sweatshirts are awesome for this, and stretch knits, because they are stretchy. I cut them different lengths for each dog, and they match!

Have fun! Tina

7. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Quote:Great Idea! Ill try this, sounds SUPER easy
    [​IMG]

8. GrayDragon

GrayDragon Chillaxin

Sep 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:u can also get them on ebay and at walmart. [​IMG]

There are some places to order them online too.

Butterick or whatever it is called also had a good pattern, but I couldn't find it in my drawer to give the number. It had stuff in it that was adorable for girl dogs.

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Friend of mine actually buys kids sweater at the goodwill for her german pincher. They are short hair and hate the cold.

10. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    use all those sleeves! ribbed cuffs on sweater/sweatshirt sleeves make the best dog clothes -- just cut the 'leg-holes' out and, maybe, stitch around them so that they don't unravel --
    :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by