1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

craigslist birds, sex?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by yyz0yyz0, Nov 19, 2015.

1. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
  2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'm far from an expert, so i'd suggest you wait from more experienced gender experts to chip in, but it looks like at least two are cockerels.

CT

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I agree. They are beautiful! My avatar is an Ameracauna cock. Nice birds. Mary

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 13, 2011
    The long tail feathers, and look for pointed rather than rounded hackle feathers. One pullet and two cockrels for sure. Mary

5. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Ok, silly question.

pointed vs rounded hackle feathers, which is which? And the hackle is that the feathers on the back of the neck, sort of forms a cape?

thanks for the responses so far.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Males have long, 'flowing' hackle feathers. They start fairly high up on the neck, and flow down to the chest and shoulders, sort of like a 'Fabio' hair style.
    [​IMG]
    Males also have different 'saddle' or back feathers. In this photo, you can easily see the difference in feather shape between the rooster and the barred hens.
    [​IMG]

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    A couple of reasons why they are so inexpensive. First they are straight run so yes there is males- Folly's Place counted two for certain so may be three. You can't see the hackles well on that third bird farthest back nor see it's tail feathers- the two beside it are getting longer sickle feathers and one up front in photo is pullet. The other reason is this person cant breed them. They wanted a blue variety and hatched 4 black. That's some bad luck as with all black there is no way to get blue or splash color only black offspring. I'm guessing here but deducing they got mail ordered eggs with only 4 hatching and all black. That's bad luck so selling off the birds to make room for something else. If you don't mind all black birds then $20 is a good deal. Keep the best male and eat the rest and of course breed the one or two females.

8. bcarver

bcarver Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2015
    If I was close I would buy them, Take two to the chicken swap or auction. Keep a roo if I had none and let the hen lay.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I think it's 3 cockrels and possibly one pullet. Personally, if I was buying SR, I'd be looking at getting hatchlings. Odds are that when SR is being sold at that age, the likely pullets have already been removed. But, they are nice looking birds.

10. crassul

crassul New Egg

Nov 13, 2015
    3 cockrels one pullet, agree with lazy gardener.
    The right one on first picture is the only pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by