Craigslist chicken breed and gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by turtlewomyn, Dec 14, 2011.

1. turtlewomyn

turtlewomyn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida
    UPDATE: It's a hen and she lays greenish eggs. She started laying three days ago and hasn't quit.

This chicken is advertised on my local craigslist as:
    I am looking to sell our ancona chicken. It is about 4 months and laying

I was really excited because I have been interested in Anconas but when the seller sent me an email with a photo this is what was sent and I am really wondering about this:
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone know what that is? Those legs make me think rooster. It sounds like the seller got the chicken from someone else who misrepresented it.​

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    that is definitely NOT an ancona...lol

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a sultan or polish or at least some sort of crested breed. does appear to be a pullet thats eaither laying or close to laying...kinda reminds me of a swidish flower

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    It looks like a mixed hen of some sort? [​IMG]

She is older than 4 months old too-if she's laying...Also I can see a bare spot on back from mating...and possible new feather growth near her back end??

5. turtlewomyn

turtlewomyn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida
    I was thinking some sort of mutt chicken. hdowden: We do have Swedish Flower Hens in the area (greenfire) but I don't see how one could have randomly made its way onto craigslist. If it was I would be even more excited. I guess she just recently purchased this flock and needs more room in her coop.

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they dont know what breed it is eaither or they were miss informed themselves

7. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Mixed breed...

It could be a lot of things. The first thing that come to my mind was a Houdan cross - they are black mottled, have v combs, and are crested like polish. What the cross is, I'm not sure. Something with yellow legs... They are very mellow birds so if it is a cross of that sort, maybe the temperament would carry over.

However, the bird in that picture has spurs - pointed spurs... And that leads me to believe it is not 4 months old, and even though nothing about it looks particularly roo-ish except for those, I guess I'd have to say it's a cock unless it's a very old, hormonal hen. [​IMG]

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:its a hen that has spurs there is nothing roo about it and i would say shes at least 1.5 years

9. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Rooster and not an Ancona. Mixed breed possibly or possibly Houdan or Houdan Cross.

10. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    its a hen there are no pointed slinder hackle feathers no saddle feathers the comb and wattles are way to small to be a rooster. on top of that you can see were the sellers roosters were mounting her and her new feathers coming in. 100% HEN. just because she has spurs doesnt mean anything and to have spurs that long she is at least 1.5 years old. if you are close enough i would just go and see the chicken in person.

why do yall think SHE's a he?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by