craigslist coop fail

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zonoma, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
  2. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    doesn't look too bad to me. is there ventilation on the bottom of the roof, looks like they cared. i've seen much worse for sure.

3. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Quote:How awful! Where in the heck do they roost? I could see 5 Seramas in it MAYBE. I wonder if the photo is tricking our eye and it is actually bigger that it looks in the photo? It is cute otherwise. [​IMG]

4. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    It is cute, but kind of small. No way would I put 5 chickens in there, maybe a pair of banties or a broody with chicks.

5. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
  6. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    OK. So, I looked at it again ad it looks to be (if those are 4x4 post holding it up) that it is like maybe 18" x 4'. Wow. That is a 1 1/2' per standard breed chicken. [​IMG]

7. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Quote:Wow! Those are awesome. [​IMG]

On a more serious not those...poor chickens![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, honestly, that looks like it is modeled after the many many commercial pre built coops that only allow for 1.5sq feet per standard bird. Appears to be intended for sleeping only. Better than some I've seen, that's for sure.

9. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    It looks like an old set of kitchen cabinets. The small rectangles look like they used to be drawers.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well...it's a creative use of material - looks to be a used set of kitchen cabinets fixed up as a coop. Yes - mostly likely not large enough for 5 chickens - I doubt there's 10 sq. ft there, which is the smallest space I've read of folks using (2 sq. ft per bird, which I don't think is enough space). As someone else said, a pair or quad of birds would probably do okay as long as they had roomy run space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by