1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Craigslist Goats Ad

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sword, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    Hey BYCers! I was on Craigslist and found this ad for ND goats. http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/grd/2484116128.html It's not my ad and I normally wouldn't go around posting ads here (If I'm breaking the rules, I apologize), but these goats are clearly really special to this guy, and I thought there would be a better chance of finding the kind of goat keeper he's looking for here than on craigslist. If I'm being out of line then I apologize.
    I'd take the does in a heartbeat if I had a decent fence [​IMG]

2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    The problem he is going to have is the amount of control he wants to have over the goats once he sells/gives them away. I hope he finds the right home for them.

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I will ask the new owner to sign a contract that guarantees this and allows me to visit if I desire. This is not to say that the new owner must keep them indefinitely. But there will be stipulations as to how and where they go. Please understand that in order to prevent these animals from going to the wrong person I will need to thoroughly screen anyone interested in their adoption. Furthermore, the new owner should meet the following requirements:

He might be hard pressed to find people willing to agree with his terms. I wouldn't agree to his terms because I feel that once I bring an animal home and feed and care for it that it is mine.
    It's nice to see his concern but I don't think he is being realistic.​

4. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:He might be hard pressed to find people willing to agree with his terms. I wouldn't agree to his terms because I feel that once I bring an animal home and feed and care for it that it is mine.
    It's nice to see his concern but I don't think he is being realistic.

Same here. I won't buy and animal on contract period. Once I buy the animal it is mine.

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    it's pretty common in dogs/cats for the breeder's or rescues contract to include a "right of first refusal" So if at any time the buyer is unable to keep the animal, it goes back to the breeder. If you have another home in mind, it must be approved by the breeder. It's considered one of the bare min. requirements for rehoming a pet.

I believe it was Ellen (?) that had rescued a dog then gave it to a friend. The rescue that she adopted from came and repossed the dog because she didn't contact them.
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21336607/ns/today-entertainment/t/rescue-group-finds-new-home-iggy/

6. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:That is why I don't buy from breeders that require a contract or shelters. I won't buy a horse from a rescue either.

Once the buyer buys the animal it should be theirs completely.

7. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

It's one thing to try to stimulate those kinds of restrictions on TRUE pet species but goats are considered livestock and those restrictions are crazy. Good luck to the guy in finding homes.

And I just can't keep myself from saying this: there is no such thing as a buckling wether...it's a buckling until it's castrated then it's a wether.

8. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    Maybe trying to ensure that someone didnt eat the goat?

9. Sword

Sword Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mundelein
    The little brown and black one in the pics is making me want to go put up a fence and e-mail the guy.

10. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    aww hope he finds someone! i know i dont consider my goats livestock, they are pets....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by