Craigslist Petsitters...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Morgan7782, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Alright, I am going out of town August 7th for a family reunion. Just the day, from about 8am till 8pm. I am on Craigslist, looking and contacting advertised petsitters.. The reaction I got when I said I mostly needed somebody here to tend to the chickens (dog, cats good at taking care of themselves) was astounding. I actually had one woman cut me off and say "I am a petsitter." Well.. DUH that's why I called you! But the second I mentioned chickens she was all up in arms. It's really NOT that hard to make sure they have water, that's it! I am worried because that should be a real hot weather day, so I just wanted somebody to be here and make sure they are staying cool and such. I would ask one of my two friends, but they are really scared of my chickens.

I think I need some new friends lol.

So I gave up on Craigslist, and just put an ad up for myself. Hopefully I can screen out the wackos lol

2. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    maybe start a thread in the "Where am I? Where are you?" section where you get Sacto BYCers to help each other out.

urbanfarmboi has a Bay Area thread and some of the peeps down here are doing that for each other.

good luck!

3. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    also check petsitters.org and see who's in your area

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Yep, got a thread there now [​IMG] I have time, it's a ways off, and I would prefer to have a BYCer do it just because they usually know chickens. And have a reliable source should anything happen! I was just surprised at the reactions of the CL petsitters. lol, sorry my chickens are my pets, I mean even if I had meat birds, they would be pets until processed. Ah well [​IMG] I will wait for a BYCer to respond.

petsitters.org ! I am not familiar with that, I will check it out right now! Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  5. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    You are probably fine without a sitter for only 12 hours. Just make sure you put out extra water and possibly feed if you are worried.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    For only 12 hours, I would set up a fan, if needed, and just put out extra pans of water. No need to pay someone to check on them.

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    They are free rangers, and don't have a predator proof run. They are out in the yard all day and then go in their respective coops at night. I have a few 12 weekers too, and would feel better if somebody were hear in case of an issue with predators. I haven't noticed any off hand, but there is always somebody home at this house, always, and this is the one day we are all going out of town. Plus I have the dog and cats, they are low care but still gotta be fed [​IMG]

Please don't think I am crazy for paying somebody to stay the day LOL [​IMG] I am a nervous nelly when it comes to my animals, and just like somebody being here [​IMG] lol

8. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I found an awesome pet sitter, when I put up a notice at my vet's office. Also, your 4-H club might be a source. Call your local Extension office.

9. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thanks for the tip! Maybe I will ask at my local feed store too. Never thought of that lol, I do have a good vet too I will ask if they know anybody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by