Craigslist - VETERINARIAN SCALE - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kuntrygirl, Feb 14, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have been looking for a scale for a couple of years now and I saw one on Craigslist. I want to be able to weigh my animals (such as turkeys, geese, rabbits, sheep, goats, etc.) Take a look at it and tell me what you think and do you think the price is ok.

VETERNARIAN SCALE - $1 (Cecilia)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2011-02-13, 6:26PM CST
    Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Veternarian scale perfect for breeders!!!Up to 115lbs stainless steel top!!! can also be used for weighing meat!!!Needs to go paid $160 two months ago will take $85.

[​IMG]

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests​

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I don't know about the price, but I would take something I knew the weight of and make sure it works before I left with it (if you do decide to get it).

3. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Good suggestion. I never thought about that. So glad that I posted to get some advice. Thanks a bunch!!!

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I guess if you like that old stile scale an need that big platform it would be worth it but new digital scales that go to 150 pounds cost about half that.

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Really? I didn't know that. You're right. A digital scale would be perfect!!! And the added weight up to 150 lbs would be awesome! I guess I should check the internet and this type of scale. Any ideas where I can find a scale like this rebelcowboysnb?

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:Good suggestion. I never thought about that. So glad that I posted to get some advice. Thanks a bunch!!!

You're most welcome [​IMG]

7. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    If you buy a digital scale, I think you are better off paying extra and getting a name brand. I paid about $140 on eBay a few years ago for a digital scale that is certified 'legal for trade'. We sell veggies at a local farm market, and at the time the price was about half what you would pay for a name brand scale. 2 years later it quit working so I took it to a local electronics repair place. He told me that the problem was in a part that distributes power, and said that he couldn't find the part to fix it. I called the company that I bought the scale from and they told me that they 'no longer carry that scale, and the company that made it just disappeared' so we can't get the part to fix it. Since I had to buy a new scale, I went with a name brand so if it breaks, the parts will be available to fix it. I do love having an accurate scale, it's great if you have to use a certain amount of medication per pound for the critters or just need to watch their weight for some reason.

8. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Thanks for the info. Do you mind me asking what kind of scale/brand did you purchase? That sounds like the kinda scale that I'm looking for.

9. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Mine is a smaller scale that only goes up to 60 pounds. I narrowed it down to a choice between Detecto and CAS. After a lot of debating between which one to get, we decided on a CAS. I think the two reasons that we chose the one that we did was we liked the set-up of the keys and I didn't like the fact that Detecto's site really made it sound (to me) like they are American made, but when I called to ask they told me that the scales are made in China. Just struck me as deceptive.

If you wanted to look on-line and see what it looks like, I got the CAS Model S2000 jr. Cheapest ones on eBay run around $257. Also take into account where you are going to be using the scale. We use ours at the outdoor farm market. If you will be using it outside, the scales with lit LED numbers can be hard to see in sunlight. The LCD that has black with a light background is easier to see. Some models use D cell batteries, I went with one that has a rechargable sealed lead acid because I didn't want to be going through a lot of batteries. But I have since talked to another vendor at the market, and they said that the batteries in theirs (D cell) last a long time, like at least through the market season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by