1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cranberries?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by youngjedi32002, May 4, 2011.

1. youngjedi32002

youngjedi32002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    I had a bag of fresh cranberries frozen in my freezer since Christmas! I got sick of looking at them and figured I would make a bread or something out of them, just to use them up! Well, it seems every time I run across something in the fridge that needs to get gone, I think the same thing: "Will the chickens eat it?" I tossed some in their run and they went bonkers! Ate them up happily! Made me think that it had to be okay until I thought about all the things I eat (and enjoy!) that are so bad for me!!! I made a bread and I also made a chicken treat, flock block type of thing with cranberries in them so, unless someone tells me different, my chickens will be chomping down their cranberries this week! Seems like a very New England food for my chickens......

2. Aj1911

Aj1911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    far as i know its ok

even some bird treats how them in there

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I buy forage cakes and a "harvest blend" treat that contain cranberries. They are made specifically for chickens. My chickens love dried fruit- especially cranberries and blueberries. I think the general rule of thumb is everything in moderation. Too much of anything can be a bad thing. Good luck.

4. youngjedi32002

youngjedi32002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    Thanks for the feedback! That what I figured and I also believe "everything in moderation"! Now, if I could only be as vigilent on my OWN diet! LOL

5. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  6. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Ours love cranberries!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by