Cranky gander - advice needed

Discussion in 'Geese' started by boxedcow, Oct 17, 2011.

1. boxedcow

boxedcow Out Of The Brooder

Here is a bit of a back story:

In April I went to buy chickens and they had a lonely African Grey gosling all by himself. I couldn't leave him there alone so I bought him and a Cayuga duckling to keep him company and swim with. Fast forward to the end September, things had been really well they would follow me around and finally knew for a fact my gosling was a boy (Mr. Wigglesworth) and my duckling was a girl (Jane). I decided that it might be nice to get them each a true mate.

I was lucky enough to find a female African / Toulouse mix the same age (Peaches) , and a male Cayuga (Harvey) a month or so older with the bonus of them being right down the street from each other. So Harvey the duck moved in easy enough with very little issues, Peaches the goose was not as easy. She would chase Mr. Wiggles around and he wanted nothing to do with her, he would hide behind my legs lol. Then he got mean towards her and she actually flew away (that was a fun adventure). Anyways she came back and within the next day or two, Mr. Wiggles decided she was pretty neat and would wait for her at the door to come out of the pen in the morning.

Within the last two weeks, Mr. Wiggles has gotten really cranky and aggressive towards me. While they were out wandering I decided to empty their swimming pool, I use a blue bucket, he came running across the yard wings open, head down hissing! I thought he was coming for me but when I threw the bucket to the side to grab him he actually went after the bucket and beat at it with his wings, feet and bill. That was the first time I have ever seen him act like that. I got quite a few bruises picking him up and getting him away afterwards myself trying to calm him down and put him in his pen (because he kept coming at me afterwards). Now I am seeing that Peaches seems to be egging him on, she stands right behind him when he acts up and honks with her head down. When she is calm he is totally find and I can walk around him, talk to him etc like I used to.

He never had any issues with the bucket in the past, and now when I try to go in and clean any water container he gets upset. I am wondering if someone went in my yard when I wasn't there and was mean to him or her with the bucket or one of the water containers. I'm trying to figure if Peaches is really the problem and if this is going to continue being an issue until she fully calms down and accepts me. I really love him and her, but I don't want to be putting up with attack geese. If anyone has had a similar experience or can think of some triggers that may be bothering him / her or both I would greatly appreciate it.

[​IMG]
    Wiggles is in the back, Peaches is in the front. (Harvey's tuckus is in there too)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:What you are seeing is pretty typical of geese behavior, if you have time go back and scan all the posts on the geese thread and you'll see your not alone. But there are things you can do and I'll see if I can find the post that zzgypsy posted about geese problems.. your in the right place. welcome! here is one bit of information and zz gypsy has posted I think on page 2 https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=579644&p=2 another excellent topic. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7269509

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Yep! Welcome to the wonderful world of owning multiple geese. Mine are also pretty nasty towards me when in a group, I swear they feed off each other [​IMG] each and everyone daring the others to bite and otherwise maim me [​IMG] Sounds like he is just showing off for his new girl, you obviously already know how to display your dominance (also don't be afraid to spread your 'wings' and step up to him if he rushes you, you could even give chase a few steps) and I would think he will settle down soon.

4. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Hi Miss Lydia! [​IMG]

boxedcow: when your goose was solo, he had you and the duck to relate to, but now he's got a GIRL and the world is a different place. mated geese will display different behaviors than solo ones and maturing geese will display different behaviors than younger ones.

you can expect things like forming a pair bond and having his girl laying and setting will up the macho behavior factor. it's just the manly thing to do! [​IMG]

so expect you'll need to remind him of your Head Goose status from time to time as he matures and his relationship evolves.

do be sure to check out Olive Hill's post in one of the links Miss Lydia listed above, it's the definitive course in Gander Correction.

5. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    All great advice given above and I agree there's a behaviour change as there's a female. On the plus side it does sound like they're forming a strong pair bond [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

6. boxedcow

boxedcow Out Of The Brooder

Thank you all very much. I guess I had high hopes that he would take it easy on me even though I knew there would be changes lol. Silly human. Things went much better last night and today. I think the more she settles in he can relax a bit, I will read up some more as I know mating season will be another fun adventure. Thanks again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by