Cranky mama duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Penelope2017, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Penelope2017

Penelope2017 New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    Hello!
    So I am new to the world of ducks. I have a female khaki saxy, a female mallard, and a male mallard. On March 24th, my khaki saxy decided to start sitting on her eggs and the female mallard's eggs. I am pretty sure the mallard eggs she is sitting on are fertile, but I don't know if the eggs she has laid are. I want to candle them to make sure she is not sitting on unfertile eggs, but she is very grumpy. She hisses and bites whenever I try to slip my hand under her (normally she is very sweet and happy). If I can't get any of the eggs from underneath her, how am I supposed to know if they are fertile? Do ducks only sit on fertile eggs? Any help is much appreciated! Thank you [​IMG]

2. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Hi! [​IMG]
    Ducks don't only sit on fertile eggs, so the only way to find out is to either wait and see, or candle. The eggs she started sitting on in March aren't going to hatch now, but if more eggs have been added to those, there may still be some that could hatch. If you can get the eggs out from under her to candle them, that would be best so you can throw away the bad ones. I have always used gloves when taking eggs away from broodies - 'cause yep, they get mad!
    Hope this helps! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by