1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cranky Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick chicks, Feb 19, 2013.

1. chick chicks

chick chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    My rooster has been chasing one lone hen back into the coop every time she try's to come out during their free run time... Is he trying to protect her or doesn't want her mingling with the rest if the flock? I have to say she would be the "top chicken" if the Roo didn't exist... Is he trying to maintain his position in the flock?

2. Back2MyRoots

Back2MyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    Does this hen pester the other girls? Our roo will get after the girls when they act aggressive towards one another. He will even separate them if they are being too ugly when I put treats out. So I would wonder if this girl is causing problems with the other hens.

3. chick chicks

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    Not that I have seen... And she hasn't ever attacked or fussed with any of the other hens to my knowledge and they all get along fine in the coop .... She hardly even gets out the door before he is on her case and its only when they go outside the coop he doesn't bother her while they are inside

4. Back2MyRoots

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    Hmmm...... Have you tried intervening and letting her out anyway to see what happens?

5. chickengirl2013

chickengirl2013 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2013
    Loganville, Georgia
    One of my roos, George, is very protective of the hens.

6. chick chicks

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    I have tried stopping him and he just does it again.... Just to that one hen and every time we let them out he does it

7. Back2MyRoots

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    Try maybe penning him up for a bit while she is out (of course keep an eye on the flock while he's up since they won't have the roo for protection). Then letting him out some time later and see what happens. If he gets after her, back to the pen he goes.

Roosters can be re-trained. We had one that had a particular aversion to one hen. He never mated with her and would run her off from the feeders and waterer if he was near. He would let the other girls eat right beside him though. We watched him ALL DAY once and would stuff him back in the coop for a few minutes when he did this. After a dozen or so times, he got the idea. After that, one trip to the coop would have him playing nice with everyone for the rest of the day. He never attempted to mate with that one hen and he was a pest for other reasons, so he was sold after a few months. The people who got him brag on what a great guy he is though.

lol The only behavior I don't seem to be able to handle is the current rooster's hollering and crowing at all hours for no apparent reason other than he is an idiot!!!

8. chick chicks

Jun 10, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    Haha ok I'll try that... he does the crowing at all hours of the day too... my neighbours don't mind it tho :O amazing :)

9. Back2MyRoots

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    It's three miles to my closest neighbors----it's me that minds!!! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by