CRAP-broodies sharing a huge clutch and its 20 degrees out!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sparkles2307, Nov 18, 2010.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

So, two hens snuck and hid a clutch of about 25 eggs from me till I just discovered them NOW. I candeled a few and it looks like they are pretty close (within days) to hatching. Its winter in MINNESOTA, what am I going to do!?! Do you think the hens can keep the babies warm if I put them in the coop? I use a heat lamp in the winter, but normally not till its quite a bit colder than this. I'm worried that I'll find chick-cicles out there [​IMG] DH is going to be 150% against setting up the brooder in the garage again this late in the year.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I bet you more than just your hens have ever hatched chicks during a Minnesota winter. The mommas will keep them toasty warm. No need to worry about them, so long as the broodies turn out to be good moms. Nature is smarter than us [​IMG]

3. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Build a warm warm nest box and they will come. [​IMG]

4. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:X2

5. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I'm half way in the same boat. I just hatched 3 chicks and thought that was going to be enough but now I have another broody and even though I'm not in the same state, actually a lot warmer, I was debating the same thing as to if I would let her have some eggs.
    Guess I will go out on a limb here and say what the heck! HAHA

6. sparkles2307

I guess between the 2 of them, they can keep 25 chicks warm, right? lol

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Set them up a place with a 60 watt bulb hanging about a foot off of the ground, in case they grow out of moms fuzzy warmth.

8. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    If they've kept them warm enough until now they'll do just fine after those babies hatch. If you are worried you could always take the little buggars inside!!!![​IMG] I've had hens go broody at insane times of winter and they did alright here in NW Wisconsin.

9. sparkles2307

They hatched on Saturday. Ten healthy happy babies between the two mommas. Most of them are BCM mixes. One is orange, clean legged. I am guessing that one is BO/GLW crossed, because my other BO/GLW crosses looked the same when they hatched.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  10. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Too cute! ETA: Love Momma's with babies!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by