Crappy pet store in town, animal control doesn't care, What to do?!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BookWorm243, Jul 18, 2011.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Well that about says it! We have a pet store that doesn't take care of there animals at all [​IMG] They cram there birds into small cages and there is no room for them to move around freely. The rabbit cages haven't been cleaned in so long that the poop has piled up into the cage, that they are sitting in it. It smells so bad in that store. Oh I almost forgot about the room with the feeder mice. They have them in cages that haven't been cleaned in who knows how long and there are dead mice in the cages [​IMG] They have over ten, 10 gallon fish tanks full of fish outside where they get hit with the sun. The water is turning green and it is horrible to see, it has been in the 90s here! [​IMG]

Animal Control (AC) has a deal with them, the pet store grooms AC's dogs for them so AC doesn't do crap [​IMG] Who can I turn the pet store in to? They need to get in trouble and I am willing to go in and get pictures if proof is needed. This crap needs to stop I can't take it anymore, what can I do?

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Call the ASPCA I'm sure there is one in your state. Let them know what you told us.

3. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

your local humane society takes cruelty / neglect complaints , i would try there first. better business bureau since they are a store selling the animals for profit...hope you find someone who will listen

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Contact the Health Department and tell them you see possible zoonotic potential. Talk to your local newspaper and TV news station. Document all you see so you have something to show to the media.

5. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    first of all i am sad i [​IMG] animals and i do not think the should be treated like this so i am mad at them [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] they are also evil [​IMG]

i do not know animal controll should do something about this maby try to call the real cops but i do not know that is just a guess

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  6. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks guys,

sheila3935, I will try that! Thank You.

JP101010, Our humane society tells everyone with complaints to call animal control [​IMG]

Do you think it would still help to have proof of what's going on?

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Some kinds of small birds are safer in smaller cages when you change where they live. If you move some kinds of birds and suddenly put them in a bigger cage, they will hit the bars and break their necks. Sometimes what looks like cruelty is kindness.

8. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

The health department ((((removed by staff--no animal rights groups)))))tell your animal control your going to call them all...that will get them off their lazy butts.
    Just got a warning for mentioning an animal rights group, to help some one, didn't know it was forbidden? [​IMG]
    Quote:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
  9. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Quote:Yea but if you look at Op's post, The other animals are being neglected as well. Such as the rabbits sitting in their own waste. Or the dead mice in the feeder room [​IMG]

10. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    If Sheilas advice doesent work... then the news.

Our recent attempt with the news really helped matters.. and they seemed to care and portrayed things well.

I would really suggest that... nothing like a ton of terrible publicity to clean up their acts [​IMG]

I wouldn't suggest just warning them however.. they'd likely clean up only until it seemed no one was looking anymore [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by