crate question!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Carole AM, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I wasn't sure where to post this.

I have all sizes of pet carriers and crates that I use for the chickens and dogs for transport. I just ordered a new door for one large crate, BUT-

I am having such a time removing the screws/bolts/fixtures from the carrier! We sprayed a WD40 type mix overnight, but that hasn't helped. Its the kind that has the screw that goes up into a plastic-washer-type thingy. I hope that make sense to you! I don't know how else to explain it. HELP, please.

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Can you use a screwdriver on the bolt with one hand and a wrench or pliers on the nut/plastic-washer-thingy with your other hand? That always helps me. Sorry if you already tried that and it didn't work. What brand of crate is this?

3. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    That's the hard part- the bolt doesn't have a slotted head. its so smal at the end that its hard to get ahold of! [​IMG]

We've tried prying it apart too.
    I need this for a new foster pup!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Get more torque on that screw driver. For example, use a larger sized handle one, or get a wrench and use it as a arm from the screwdriver.

Edit: For example

[​IMG]

but pretend that nut it is on, is the back side of the screwdriver, then just keep it all aligned and push. It is very well possible that it is glued in so you can't get it out.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by