Crawlng Hen/ Laying around a lot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AuntNomi, Jun 24, 2016.

1. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    One of my hens has been laying around on the ground and when one of the other chickens come near her she moves around a little. When she tries to move around she looks as if she is crawling, kinda almost dragging her tail end, with her tail all tucked down. The others have gone to roost, she went in the nesting box for the night. I do not know what might be wrong with her, anyone have any ideas??? The only thing I could think was maybe she was egg bound? Thanks for any and all suggestions/help.

2. Chicken Bff

Chicken Bff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Missiouri
    how hot has it ben is your area

3. AuntNomi

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    It was mid to high 90's today. But it has been that hot. She has not been panting. So I really didn't think it was the heat, would that make her behave that way? All the others seem fine.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  4. thechickendude5

thechickendude5 New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    did they have there shots?

5. AuntNomi

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    Shots? No I don't give mine any shots. They probably had the Mareks one since they came from a hatchery. But since I have had them no shots. I don't medicate unless theres a reason too, but I don't know what I need to do right now. She's about 10 months old.

6. AuntNomi

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    Well I do not think she is going to make it. She is not moving much today, she will still drink water though, but doesnt seem to care to eat. We checked her according to other post on here to see if she was egg bound and we did not see or feel an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by