Craziest thing i've ever heard.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RayinGa, Apr 13, 2011.

1. RayinGa

RayinGa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    My friend called and said a lady sold him a rooster (Aricauna)sp and that any hen he puts it with will lay colored eggs. Has anyone ever heard of anything this absurd? I was unable to substantiate this online, but he says she swears it will work. I guess he should buy some beans from her and we could climb the beanstalk. Haha:lol:

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Depending on the breed, his OFFSPRING may lay colored eggs. But really, what the hen shoots out, is what the hen shoots out.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Umm, it will, in the offspring. Granted that he is a REAL Araucana (which is very unlikely) he'll have both genes for blue eggs, meaning. . .

Him x brown egg layer = green egg layers

Him x blue egg layer = blue egg layers

Him x white egg layer = light blue egg layers

Him x dark brown egg layer = dark olive green egg layers

It is likely he's just an Easter Egger though, so your chances for green egg layers from any crossing are 50% or less. You're likely to get brown or green eggs, but some do have blue egg genetics, but blue still requires either blue or white to reproduce the color.

The hens he is with will not change their egg color though. This is for the offspring, not the hen. [​IMG] If one animal mated with another, the other doesn't obtain the male's genes and tranform.

4. juliette2009

juliette2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Wadmalaw Island, SC
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I heard that if you feed a hen chocolate milk, she'll lay chocolate eggs. [​IMG]
    And if you feed the hen marshmallows too, Peeps(TM) will hatch from the chocolate eggs! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seriously, what LareePQG said is what it is. The egg color of any particular hen can't be affected by the rooster she mates with because the color of her eggs has already been predetermined by the genes she received from her own parents. If she mates with an Ameraucana rooster, then her offspring might lay colored eggs if the rooster passes along egg-color genes that are dominant pver those the hen passes along.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:oooh, cool. Do you have the breeder's info?? [​IMG]

7. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by