crazy amount of feathers in run

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jtbrown, Jun 5, 2012.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Songster

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I am new to ducks, started with 4 pekins, rehomed 2 when realized I had 3 boys and one girl. They currently are in a very well proteced, enclosed pen with a little duck home and two small ponds that I dump, clean and refill every other day (one a day).

There are feathers EVERYWHERE, small little curly white feathers. Is this normal? The ducks have beautiful white coats, very smooth and full, especially compared to my chickens. This is much more feather loss that I expect in my entire flock of chickens. Is this normal? The ducks appear healthy, happy, playful, groom themselves regularly.

I see no bare areas or even thin areas in their coat, so kind of think this is normal, but can anyone else with experience help me out here? Is this normal?

2. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Songster

Nov 13, 2011
    if they are both ok then maybe the male was trying to mate with the female and took a bunch of feathers out of her because she didn't want his advances and drakes don't take no for an answer

3. DuckLover3

DuckLover3 Chirping

Feb 16, 2012
    Marlborough, CT
    Could they be molting?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think either of the above two ideas is possible. When my ducks first molted, indeed, there were small, curly feathers all over the place! And they were living in my house at the time. Yikes!

Watch closely and see if he is aggressive with her or not so much.

You may need to take in more females.

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Songster

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I will watch, they are only a few months old, I haven't seen any intent or attempt to mate.

I may have chance to add a few muscovy females, what do you duck experience people think? I know it is a large breed, and I know someone who is liquidating their flock (moved on to different animals and decided ducks weren't key). I DO NOT WANT any more boys, that is why I rehomed the extra boys I had. Were lucky to find someone who was looking for bachelors to join their lone bachelor. I am in Ohio if anyone has any leads, I will drive for "day trip" to add to the flock.

These guys feathers look extraordinary and they feel nice and thick coat when you pick them up (they don't like that, but oh well).

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, Pekins are like big pillows!

I would not be surprised if you are seeing the first molt.

You could try posting a new Thread here on the Duck Forum asking about ducks that need a home. There is also a Buy Sell Trade forum and a Where Am I - Where Are You forum.

But I really like this one! [​IMG]

There may be . . . in fact, there is a duck rescue place in SW Ohio . . . Mt. Holly duck sanctuary. I don't know if he does placements, but you could try contacting him.

7. cskotek

cskotek Songster

With my 2 pekins when they get startled always have some feathers that poof out of them, But i did expirence about 3-4 days of a very white fluffy enclosure. I think they are fine. My 2 are about 6/7 months old so I havent seen the any mateing issues -yet- I find it amuseing when the yard is full of feathers from them just as long as their ok. :)

8. jtbrown

jtbrown Songster

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Thanks guys, those are really helpful answers.

I may consider the duck rescue, we really are liking having the animals. I have the room and time for some extras (not tons of either, but they really do provide great pleasure for me to watch with a little investment).

If they molt that early, that may be what it is. Thanks again for all your responses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: