CRAZY BANTIES!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shelleyd2008, Apr 12, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    [​IMG] Just when I have decided to try and sell all the eggs that these little boogers are laying, almost half of them have decided to go broody!! [​IMG] I had 2 go broody today, 1 yesterday, and 2 the day before! Before much longer, the rest will probably go as well! [​IMG] I guess they'll have to sit on quail and duck eggs, cause most of the bantam's eggs are gone [​IMG]

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Mine that too... I can't just have one broody... it becomes a game, and they all wanna play too. But NO ONE wants to lay anymore.

But being broody means they'll sit on anything, so slap them a couple dz 'whatevers' you know you're going to give in. [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:That's the plan. I can't eat the eggs, and no one will buy them for eating (unless I let them have the eggs for $.50). Since all mine free range together, I have hardly any that are pure, so it isn't that easy to sell them. So I figured if they wanted to set, I would let them. I just hope I get enough eggs to send to the people that have already payed for them!! [​IMG] I have 2 broodies in one nest right now, I guess the one that just hatched about 6 weeks ago didn't like the idea of sitting on an empty nest. The other one that started today, I don't even know what she has under her! I assume she has 2 or 3 eggs, since it is a community nest, but I guess I need to be getting out there and marking some eggs. I wasn't expecting this, I only had 2 or 3 at a time last year! Most of these girls are last fall's (Sept. Oct.) chicks!! [​IMG]

4. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I just had within the last week 3 hens go broody. Not that I mind...more babies for me [​IMG]. I have 6 game hens, that I bought specifically for their broodiness, which has gone spectacular by the way. The other one is a black rock, and she's a grouch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by