Crazy Barnevelder

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by DoloresRun, Dec 5, 2010.

1. DoloresRun

DoloresRun Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Traralgon
    Hi

I am pretty new to this forum and still don't have pictures but I have the craziest Barnevelder [​IMG] Her name is Beatrice (kids named her) and every time it's time to lay she screams and cries and makes a huge fuss!!!! None of the others do. It's like she is saying "look at me look at me I am going to lay an egg!!!" She kicks up such a fuss some times that I wonder if she is going to get me in trouble with the neighbours [​IMG]

She is also incidently also the same chicken that has become the escape artist of the troop! We have three Barnevelders and two Isa Browns and she manages to get out of the coop every time. I haven't a clue how... I have even tried waking up before they get up to see how she is doing it but she waits until I have my back turned and pop out she comes!

Oh well, just thought that I would post this little tidbit of info

Happy egg collecting all [​IMG]
    Dolores

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Wow, if you only have one girl that sings the egg song, that is pretty amazing.
    Not only does the girl that's laying get to raising cane, all of my roosters and several other hens often join in!
    Happens MANY times a day here. [​IMG]

3. DoloresRun

Dec 2, 2010
    Traralgon
    It's so funny because my Isa Browns say nothing.... Just pop into the laying box and out again in a few minutes and low and behold... a beautiful 65g egg!!!! They are the best layers but also the ones with the most attitude [​IMG]

I suppose I am lucky then if this is normal behavior for chickens [​IMG]

Dolores

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I think you must be lucky because egg laying is a big deal to our birds.
    All that's lacking is some scenery and lights for it to be a full on production number(we have a cast and the music is provided by my birds)! [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, yes, the Egg Song is quite common. This is the first stanza:
    Bok bok bok bokbokbokbokbok bokbokbok buh-GAWK!

{repeat ad infinitum.}

6. DoloresRun

Dec 2, 2010
    Traralgon
    Hahahahahaha that is exactly the song!!!! She sings it like she is the prettiest little finch on the block!

Funny I have only had these birds for a few weeks and it is amazing that each and everyone of them has their own personality [​IMG]

I always know when they are going to lay (they are very close to my back door) and I always know when they want their treats! They are very vocal about their treats.

Raising chickens is very rewarding now if I can only get hubby on board building that new coop that I want! Bigger and better is my motto! If I get a nice house.... so do the ladies outside!

Dolores

7. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    [​IMG] Glad you could join us! I love the egg song! It's hilarious [​IMG]

8. FlockMama

FlockMama ChickyBawkyChickChick

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    Quote:ha ha you wrote that perfect...I even said it outloud and repeated. [​IMG]

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Silly Girl! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by