Crazy bird doesn't like me anymore

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MandiRock, Feb 17, 2012.

1. MandiRock

MandiRock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    I have 6 Plymouth rock hens (3 barred, 3 white) that are 23 weeks old. I've had them since they were just a few days old. They love me and I love them [​IMG]

Except over the past week, one of my white girls has been really aggressive toward me. Normally when I am outside, all the girls watch me do whatever I'm doing at the edge of their run. If I go in the run, they follow me all around. They like to get petted, and they will jump up on their roost to get to me. THIS girl however, has started pecking at my feet and hands, and following me around to peck at my heels (I wear flip flops when I go out). She no longer likes to be touched. When I picked her up today (to get her out of the way) she pooped all over the place like she was scared of me or something. Then when I stuck my head in the back of the coup to get eggs out, she started pecking at the eggs. They aren't even her eggs, as she isn't laying yet. She is the least mature of the 6... smallest and least red comb, the only one who doesn't squat. But she squawks at me A LOT. Pretty sure she is at the bottom of the pecking order as well. The barred rocks dominate my flock, all 3 are bigger than the whites right now and all 3 have started laying, none of the whites have laid yet to my knowledge. I did notice when I picked her up today it looked like someone had taken a jab at one of her toes.

I wonder if she is mad at me, or if she is trying to tell me they are picking on her. Is this normal chicken behavior?

2. riverpilot69

riverpilot69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri
    She no longer sees you as dominant. My best hen started doing that same thing to me. Put your hand on her back and push her belly on the ground. Then push her head down to the ground also. It may take a few times of doing this before she gets the picture. It worked for me and my hen no longer does this. I had to do this once a day for three days and again about a week later. No problem since.

3. riverpilot69

riverpilot69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri

I might add to hold her down for about 30 seconds. every time you have to do this, make her time out a little longer each time.

4. MandiRock

MandiRock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by