Crazy broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by garp94, Aug 1, 2013.

1. garp94

garp94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    New York
    So with 3 broody hens [ Dark brahma, Jersey Giant, Buff Minorca], all just over a year old, I gave in and ordered chicks.

they arrive 2 days ago. I made sure they ate and drank and later that night put some under each hen.

Yesterday am: The Brahma took to them right away. JG put up with them, but was still very interested in the sitting on eggs. The BM put up with the chicks I put under her, but if they left to eat or drink, she didn't let them return. She even pecked/chased many away. I figured give her another day
    Last night I took some chicks from the other 2 girls and put them under the BM, again, give her time to get used to these chicks she's waited 3 MONTHS for [ yes, she's been broody for 3 months]
    This am I found her out of her box and next to the Brahma. I put out food. the Brahma and JG make their "here's food" noise and the chicks come out from under them to eat. The BM starts eating all puffed up making the broody cluck like she's done for the months when she leaves the nest. She pecks at a few chicks. Chicks [most of them] are making their unhappy pips. BM runs around some, eats some more, then picks up a chick by its neck!!!!!!
    Well I intervene and she's back on the nest with some decoy eggs under her.

Is there hope with more time or is she ready for the soup pot?
    [She's not friendly in any way, and if she's not going to either lay eggs or raise chicks for me she's not going to take up space]

Is it bec she was broody so long? or is she just the freak i've been calling her since a chick.

2. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    She does sound a freak to me. Mrs. Cuddlesworth did take time to take to some chicks I put under her and would let them out but not back in. By the second day, she had accepted them as her own though and all was well. I kept putting them back under her.

I say either rehome or do what you feel you must do. Is there a way to lock her off from the other two moms?

3. garp94

garp94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    New York
    No real place to keep them separate overnight long term. I guess i can try to break her of her broodiness again and put her in a wire cage. I don't mind giving her more time but if I come home from work and a chick is injured in the pot she goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by