CrAzY cHiCkEn help please

Lost Bird

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 8, 2014
North Texas
Backstory: A chicken adopted us. She was in our yard and wouldn't leave, I became very fond of her so have been building her a coop so we can get her some friends. I don't know what kind she is, but she is quite small. She has been crowing like a rooster, although she's not good at it. She lays eggs.

We had quite a bit of construction going on, and she stopped laying. I thought maybe she was hiding them quite well, but she started laying again about two weeks ago. Except they are the size of peanut M&Ms. Or grape tomatoes. Teeny-tiney.

She used to gurgle when she saw me, but for the last two days here vocalization has completely changed. It's more like a low shriek then a higher tonal quality - not the happy gurgle.

She normally comes up to the window at night asking in (we bring her into the garage for the night) but for the first time in 1.5 years she didn't come to the window. I knew she was in the chiminea where she normally lays eggs, but she never came out. She was in there several hours. We wound up breaking down the chiminea to reach her and brought her in. She didn't move the whole night.

She went into the chiminea today, but didn't stay. I checked, no egg. Yet still the shrill noises when she sees me.

She groomed and ate well this morning.

Any ideas? Do I need to find a chicken vet - does she sound sick?

Last edited:
Backstory: A chicken adopted us. She was in our yard and wouldn't leave, I became very fond of her so have been building her a coop so we can get her some friends. I don't know what kind she is, but she is quite small. She has been crowing like a rooster, although she's not good at it. She lays eggs.

We had quite a bit of construction going on, and she stopped laying. I thought maybe she was hiding them quite well, but she started laying again about two weeks ago. Except they are the size of peanut M&Ms. Or grape tomatoes. Teeny-tiney.

She used to gurgle when she saw me, but for the last two days here vocalization has completely changed. It's more like a low shriek then a higher tonal quality - not the happy gurgle.

She normally comes up to the window at night asking in (we bring her into the garage for the night) but for the first time in 1.5 years she didn't come to the window. I knew she was in the chiminea where she normally lays eggs, but she never came out. She was in there several hours. We wound up breaking down the chiminea to reach her and brought her in. She didn't move the whole night.

She went into the chiminea today, but didn't stay. I checked, no egg. Yet still the shrill noises when she sees me.

She groomed and ate well this morning.

Any ideas? Do I need to find a chicken vet - does she sound sick?
She sounds like shes very stressed out.

Back
Top Bottom