1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crazy Chicken Lady in Colorado

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jeshelton2, Aug 1, 2016.

1. jeshelton2

jeshelton2 New Egg

Aug 1, 2016
    Hello all! I have acquired from my sisters, mother, brother, friends and children the new nickname Crazy Chicken Lady. We got chickens in April this year and I took to them like they were my own children. Waking up in the middle of the night to check on them while they were still in their little cardboard condo to make sure they were peeping contentedly. I have never spent any time on any kind of farm, (thankfully my boyfriend raised and broke horses and grew up doing various types of farming) so it came as a shock to me that I cared so much for the animals we got merely to provide sustenance. I have been obsessing over them ever since! We had to eat our rooster. We live in a subdivision where roosters are not allowed. My children, after eating him, said he was DELICIOUS! We prepared them from the very beginning that we'd eat a rooster. OH, I'm Jessica. Jess, Jessie, Jessica, pick one, I answer to them all. Although only people who don't know me call me Jessica. Ever since we brought the girls home I have been referring to this site on various questions and ponderings. I started by trying to remember what breeds of chickens they all are so I looked up all the breeds and figured it out. We have five girls (it was six, haha). While using BYC I have learned more about chickens than I ever thought I would. I love those girls! They are a hoot! They all have names. My children insisted on naming them and they all have (had) boy names: Felix (Rhode Island Red), Happy Feet (Black Australorp), Flappy/Mama (Buff Orpington. I call her Mama because she started out bossy. She has since given it up), 88 (Wyandote), and Roolette (Barred Rock. She was Root. My son changed it because she's a girl. Haha.) Willy was a Lavender Wyandote, beautiful bird. My daughter changed his name to Lily and then she turned out to be right the first time. He was her favorite. She handled having to eat him like a champ, much better than I expected. I noticed he might be a rooster from the beginning so I mentioned it every chance I got because I didn't want her to be heartbroken. She loves those chickens more than I do. They come running to her every time she walks out the back door. They think she has snacks, which she usually does because we love it that they run to us and we love feeding them. They are comical, moody, curious, and really a delight to hang out with and watch. I could really "talk chicken" all day but I'd better be off. I'm happy to become a part of a community I didn't even know existed until now. Thanks for reading!
    The Crazy Chicken Lady is out.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Jessica and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Here we talk chicken all day, so you are in the right place.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread  as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Happy you joined us. Well, if you're "crazy" you will have a lot of company on BYC. Best of luck to you! :yiipchick

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC

7. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    Welcome [​IMG]and enjoy the great community!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by