Crazy Chicken Lady in Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by crazychickenwom, Feb 13, 2012.

1. crazychickenwom

crazychickenwom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Nope, I don't have any chickens "yet" but I am planning, and planning, and gathering, and craigslist stalking, and questioning, and did I mention planning? I am very excited to be just beginning the journey into being a chicken farmer and everyone who even looks like they want to talk to me is hearing about it. My fiance thinks I am crazy, my kids give me the "oh Mom not chicken talk again..." look and my parents think I am just plain nuts... but here I am, the Crazy Chicken Lady...

I am just gathering my supplies needed to build my coops and runs and have gotten everything so far for free. At the advise of several BYC members (thank goodness I discovered this page before I undertook this great adventure) I have gathered several suitable materials for building the coops. To date I have several (20 ish) pallets, many many feet of reclaimed hardwood flooring, an 8x8x5 hardwood shipping crate, an 12x12x12 hardwood shipping crate, 2 reclaimed windows, hundreds of nails, and some tin roof. Geeze when I lay it all out there it sure sounds like I have been busy! I plan on using these materials and the others that I will buy to build at least 2 coops. Although, I have an old wooden swing set out back that is too old for the kids to play on that is begging to become a chicken house!

I plan on getting 12 meats and at least 12 layers and a roo to start my flock. I am in love with so many breeds and types that I can't possibly decide which breeds yet. Maybe even a colorful variety? I am hoping to do so soon though because I would like to get them ordered soon so I don't miss out. I have already seen that I will have to wait quite a while to get any SF babies from Myer... [​IMG]. Eventually I would like to be able to raise my own meats so I am looking at the dual purpose breeds for now. Although, that swing set might just be the perfect place for some silkies... hmmm... more planning...

All - in - all I am very excited to be starting this journey and am so glad that I have found this site and all of you! Now I know where to run when everyone looks at me like I am nuts when I start my next "chicken" story!

2. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    Welcome to BYC and that wonderful obsession, I mean, hobby called chickens! I am glad you found BYC and are enjoying all the information from so many experienced people!

3. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Welcome from Western Kentucky.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
  5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Wish your poll allowed for multiple choices. I'd start with Orps, Black Australorps, Barred Rocks (which ARE "Plymouth Rocks, by the way) and some Delawares (not on your list).

All great people-friendly breeds, dual purpose so you can process them to eat IF you want to go that route, and good layers. Henderson's Handy Dandy Chicken Chart is SO very useful!!

I love my mixed flock of many breeds.

6. 1 lucky dad

1 lucky dad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    West Farmington,ohio
    Welcome to BYC crazy. I am also in ohio. I hate to sound partial to my own flock butt, I love the orpingtons and the barred rocks. I have hatching eggs for sale and will have chicks beginning of march from barred rocks, buff orpingtons, white silkies. Send me an email if your interested.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from southern Ohio!!! You can read reviews on these breeds in the "Breeds" section.

9. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy from Austin, Texas. No vote. Lack of experience/knowledge. [​IMG]

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by