crazy chicken lady syndrome

sóley

Songster
Feb 4, 2018
this is not going to be me asking for advise, just wanted to share with you that my crazy chicken lady syndrome has cooled down a little bit (little bit!). I owned 13 chicken breeds and rooster for all of them :barnie
today I still have 13 breeds but not rooster for all them (stoped having roosters for my cuckoomaran, RIR, light Sussex and cream legbar and then my papa rooster past away, but reason I had so many was because I wanted to see witch breeds where the best for me and what I wanted to breed.

so now I have 3 small breeds and 5 bigger ones
-silkes
-pekin bantam
-rheinlander bantam
-icelandic chickens
-leghorn
-lohmann
-brahma
-easter egger

so I still have some breeds that I'm in love with but that's okey now tho because I have few chickens coops 2 big ones and 2 small ones :love (so I still have crazy chicken lady syndrome)

there was another breed tho that I loved to, it was another chicken breed from Iceland called papahænur but my rooster died, there was a mink that killed him in December :hit

anyway just wanted to share and ask you if any one else is a crazy chicken lady/or man like me? :D and if so how many breeds to you have, or am I the only one that's this crazy?

It can be a mess to have too many roosters. :hmm

I currently have 90 chickens, and have more coming later in the spring. Crazy is a relative term. Chicken keeping, not crazy to me, another hobby like car collecting, is crazy to me. So if you like it, it isn't crazy. :)

It can be a mess to have too many roosters. :hmm

I currently have 90 chickens, and have more coming later in the spring. Crazy is a relative term. Chicken keeping, not crazy to me, another hobby like car collecting, is crazy to me. So if you like it, it isn't crazy. :)

haha yes, the roosters I have today are all living in separate places with there breed hens so it's much better now , haha, these roosters I have left are so sweet and good to there hens :love
reson i have so many breeds is because I wanted a colourful egg basket, witch I have now :love and then I got few meat breeds but only fell in love with the brahmas (but my light Sussex 2 hens I got are great to but I liked brahmas more) also I wanted a broody hens and got silkies and pekin bantam and these to breeds are so cute and cuddly, so happy I got them, and of corse I had to get Icelandic chickens because my grandma was a breeder of that breed when I was little and also because I live in Iceland

I like my bantam cochins, aka as pekin. They are cute fluffy birds.

I keep lots of breeds too. Mine are mostly mixed. I keep my bantam separately from my standard breeds except for a few extra bantam roosters who run with the big birds, right along with the big boys. :)

haha you're so funny! I have the same problem, but not enough land to have multiple coops so I've been trying to figure out my favorite breed with only a couple at a time. I have some icelandic hatching eggs in the bator now and I promised myself that this is the last breed I'm going to try and then i HAVE to decide because its getting too expensive to keep trying breeds. But limiting myself to one breed is so hard! At least I get visual variety with the icelandics, and I may decide keep one or two easter eggers for fun that I won't hatch stock from and won't have any roosters from just to have a nice looking egg pack and only breed the icelandics. Best of luck from one addict to another!

My wife and I are definitely crazy chicken people. We are adding a second coop in a few days (10x16) just for my bantam addiction. I have mille fluer duccles I"m getting a roo for them as soon as I can get my new coop and run built. I have two silkie roos I"m getting hens for, a porcelin or possibly self blue duccle roo not sure if I will get him hens to match or just occaisonally cross him with the mille's they made cute babies as did duccle cochin crosses I have two red cochin hens and ping! mu red chochin roo. They made the cutest sweetest most cuddly babies. so you can bet I"ll keep crossing them. I unfortunately lost my black cochin roo before I started collecting eggs. Damn hawks :( Any way I wanna definitely keep breeding the cochin and silkies and cross them occaisonally too. I think I need to trim my silkie roos a bit they didn't represent their breed very well in the hatch last time.
I am also expanding the big chicken coop from 12x12 to 12x24 so our egg laying girls can grow some more and my wife can add more breeds there. She just got some more silver lace wyandotts. and more americanas. We just lost one of our sweet americana babies to some kind of quick killing problem think it may have been impacted craw but not sure. we did all we could for her but she died rip our baby seagull she resembled a seagull with a light grey ring of hackle and the bright yellow slightly hooked beak. and she was just so sweet and talkative when we were around her. But anyway I guess you may tell from my rampling we are crazy chicken people. The big girls free range in good weather and have a nearly bomb proof run about 20x40 completely covered with chick en wire and has hardware clith in the ground about 2ft all the way. I try real hard to protect my girls (and boys) I keep promising but I really will get pics for ya'll even if some of the girls are molting a bit.

Back
Top Bottom