crazy chicken mom...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by andrealeec, Jun 4, 2011.

1. andrealeec

andrealeec In the Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    So my 11 6 week old chicks went to the coop today. They loved it, until the temperature started to drop. It was 58 degrees...went out to check on them and they were all huddled in a corner. So being the crazy chicken mother that I am, I boxed them up and brought them back inside...it's supposed to be 50 degrees tonight!!

2. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Songster

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    lol You're not crazy....Just a good mom! I know how you feel. I put mine out a couple weeks ago and barely slept. I was so worried about them.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hahaha... I did that too with the first three, but it got down in the 30's. I have my 4 week olds out in the coo(in the kennel). The coop in insulated, so it stays pretty warm.

4. andrealeec

andrealeec In the Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Our coop has 2 big windows with hardware cloth over them and the wind was blowing through! I couldn't leave them out there! They are much happier inside. Hopefully I can send them out tomorrow...

5. zengrrl

zengrrl Songster

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I'm the same way. Mine have gone from the basement to the garage, I like to think I'm breaking myself down slowly. Tomorrow is the big coop waaaaay in the back of the yard. I may need xanax!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You aren't a crazy chicken mom... You are a caring chicken mom... It is hot here. I have a coop I use as a brooder coop. I have a heat lamp or two in there when it is chilly out. I close the windows and vents at night when its cool out to help keep the heat in. In the mornings I open the pop door to their run.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by