1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crazy Chicken Mom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Heidi T, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Heidi T

Heidi T Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2013
    Greetings from Northern MN. I built a chicken tractor this summer and "rented" two Barred Rocks, Gertrude and Penny. Now we have two Orpingtons (Minerva Louise and Betty) and two Production Reds (Darffy and Fred) all girls. Can you say addiction? I found BYC when it was getting cold and wanted to keep the ladies happy. Thank you!!
    Now for my question. My ladies have adopted a kitten. He learned the coop is warmer than outside (-20 something at night). Is this going to be a problem? I kinda dom't have the heart to toss him out in the cold and the ladies keep him in line.
    Thank you for all the advice for us newbies

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome and thanks for joining BYC! Not sure about the new addition to your flock, but I am sure a cat person will weigh in soon.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! There are a number of threads on the Predators and Pests forum about cats and chickens. Like dogs it does depend on the individual animal and situation. There are plenty of people who have barn cats or out door pet cats that get along fine with the chickens, it seems that as long as the pet cats are fed and cared for they don't seem to be a problem with adult hens, I would not count on that extending to chicks or small birds though.

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Kelsie gave you some good advice :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If he does work out, he may end up being very protective of his chicken mamas and that would be a good thing.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - kitten in the coop will be a great rodent deterrent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by