crazy chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kelidei, Dec 31, 2009.

1. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I have this gorgeous GLW pullet. One odd thing though--- suddenly she'll start running around--- it reminds me of what cats do--- you know they will jump up from a dead sleep and start chasing imaginary mice or something--- same type of thing but chicken style. She will run around the coop--- out the door around the yard and back in again--- she is 100% healthy--- I'm not really concerned--- except that she might somehow hurt herself--- just wondering if anyone else has ever observed this--- maybe she just has ADHD?!? [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Mine always spread their wings when they do this. They don't always flap them, but they do spread them. I consider it normal.

3. jetto

jetto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    Huron County, Ohio
    I have a spazzy Jersey Giant pullet that does that. She sometimes irks the barred rocks if she startles them with her sudden sprints around the run. I have noticed she does it quite often when the little barn sparrows are flitting around. Kristi

4. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    My old Rhodies used to do that time to time. They spread their wings and ran. I figured they were doing a territorial thing. "I am big, fear me" type of thing. Happened when other birds where around. And once my bigger hen, Rosie, chased my nan's jack russel inside! Ha! Was such a funny thing to see!
    She chased hen's away too... She was a true guard chicken xD

5. Cherokeerainbow

Cherokeerainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    I have 2 silver laced wyandottes about 7 mos old (someday they will start to lay) the other ladies are about 10 mos. Those 2 will just spontaneously combust, jump up and start running and jumping together. And I mean jumping, like lil rabbits bouncing around...its hilarious! They on occasion will bounce on or into one of the older hens, who becomes befuddled as to what happened, because when they look around the troublemakers have already 'bounced' away... They've even gotten the older blackstar into the game lately, although she quits pretty quick... weird...and I wonder why I have no eggs yet...

6. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Quote:Maybe they're trying to bounce the eggs out![​IMG]
    I have a buff orp. who gets a wild hair sometimes and takes off at a dead run. They look so awkward don't they?

7. kelidei

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Well I am glad it's not just my girl!!! I have about 40 chickens and she is the only one I have seen behave this way..... so far........ [​IMG]

8. kelidei

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Yup! In fact mine looks like a lunatic! It's hysterical to watch her--- I think even the other chickens stare at her like "what the heck!"

9. trulefty

trulefty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2009
    Magnolia, Ms
    I've noticed when mine do that they are usually chasing a small flying insect.[​IMG]

10. Cherokeerainbow

Cherokeerainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    Maybe they're trying to bounce the eggs out!
    I have a buff orp. who gets a wild hair sometimes and takes off at a dead run. They look so awkward don't they?

OH I can't stop laughing!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's so true too!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by