Crazy Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Corimckee, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Corimckee

Corimckee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    I have three chickens laying a RIR, a golden laced wyndotte, and a California grey. I two chickens left not laying an Americauna and anothe wyndotte. Well today my Americuna was running all over the yard hollerin' and yelling and searching for a place to lay. I think?? She was trying to make a nest in the stroller in the garage and I kicked her out of there, and than she was running to the coop, to the back yard, and back again. She finally settled down but I can't find the egg anywhere. What is going on?? Did she lay it or maybe the urge passed???

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

W E L C O M E to the forum.

wow---that is strange behavior, and I can just picture it.

She hasn't been laying regularly -- Is she just starting? or is she slowing down? It sounds like her behavior was hormone related--since I believe that is what makes them go to the nest daily in the first place.... It could be her hormones adjusting and resulting in her need to lay an egg with no place to lay the egg.

Post back if she repeats it. or if she settles into a more normal pattern...I'm curious about what will happen with the next egg.... Good luck with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by