1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Crazy chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by timriley0927, Jul 24, 2014.

1. timriley0927

timriley0927 In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2014
    I saw my first egg two days ago in the coop run. So I pick it up at put it in the nest box. The problem is I found another on in the coop run. How do I get the chickens to lay in the box?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It can take awhile for them to figure it out.
    Putting some fake eggs or golf balls in the nests might help.

Are your nests easily accessible?
    Have they been checking them out at all?
    How old are your chickens?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  3. SusanPC

SusanPC Chirping

Feb 28, 2014
    Southwest Florida
    My 21-week old EE laid her first egg in a pan filled with water that they use to stand in and cool down in the heat! Her second two were laid in the coop, but on the floor outside the nesting boxes and her last three have been laid in the nesting box. She's laying every other day. I had a golf ball in one nestbox (out of 3 nestboxes), but removed it after she laid the two on the floor outside the box, thinking it might be making her nervous. I also tried a few different combinations of material in the nest box. When I put the material that was on the floor of the coop (pine shavings) into the nestboxes she used the box but that could have been coincidence. Originally, I had hay in there - which they may associate more as food. Don't worry about it too much yet. Maybe she will figure it out on her own.

First egg!
    [​IMG]

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

5. timriley0927

Jul 24, 2014
    I just open the boxes. I have caught one of my buffs In the box. There about 6 months old

6. emma p

emma p Songster

Jun 24, 2013
    Kansas
    Just put fake eggs in there and they will figure it out... I have two hens and only one of them lays in the nesting box. the other one lays right outside of it :)

7. timriley0927

Jul 24, 2014
    So I try ping pong balls and it work thanks yall

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh Cool!!

Ping Pong balls might be way more likely to end up on the floor cause they're so light.....
    ......wonder if you could drill a hole in them and fill them with some thing to weight them down?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: