Crazy Chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mikeeeeeeeeee, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    I wish I had been able to get to my video camera in time.
    I had to isolate two roos ( 6 week old RIRs) from the other 6 week olds, because they were constantly sparring with each other and creating havoc among the general population.

I put them in a large dog cage, and they are really happy there for now. I put shavings in and a tree branch to roost on and they are just fine.

Yesterday, I go out in the garage and one ( I call him Captain Hook because he has a bent toe on one foot) is holding a wood chip in his mouth and running in circles and the other one is chasing him trying to get the chip!

A chip?????

So, he drops the chip and hops up on the roost. Everything calms down. The other roo jumps up and they are talking back and forth.
    Hook hops down and walks out to the middle of the cage and stands there staring back at the other. The other is staring at him.
    Hook reaches down, grabs a chip and shakes it at the the other.

Well, that was all it took. The chase was on again. Round and round, peeping and hollering at each other for 2-3 minutes, and then he drops the chip.

back on the roost.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Makes you wonder what on earth are they thinking?[​IMG]

3. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    My to little frizzle cochin roos have started the chest bumping thing. My son asked if thats what he looks like when they do it during a football game. Now I think they act like your roos with the football [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  4. mygirlScout

mygirlScout Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Would you have ever guessed that chickens could be so entertaining? [​IMG]

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

How cute.

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

hook is trying to be the alpha,,, he's "giving" food/chip ,, to the other to show HE"S in charge of food and play things.
    if a roo does that when you are their, and it looks like he's being nice to ya trying to give ya "presents", then chase his butt down and grab him,, make it rough.,,,, cause the next step will be him trying to flog ya.

7. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Captain Hook ( since isolating him and the other one) has really begun to put on the charm.
    He begs to be petted and held now.
    I may have to keep him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by